Thursday, May 07, 2009

Already finished....


What a strange day this has been...eyes are still wonky and outside a bit damp so I spent the morning back rummaging in the closet. Finally found the "king of log cabins." I laid out on the bed and to my surprise - it is finished! When did I do that? The confusion? The top ended up so large that I decided to only put the keyboard border on the top and bottom. I had already made the third border which made me think later that I still needed to put on borders and that somehow I had lost the 4th one (nope...just never made it!)

So why has it been in a bag for so long? It finally came to me...the top is already so heavy I wanted to splurge and buy a wide backing fabric instead of piecing a back. Since I did need to get some food in I went out around 2 when traffic is light and hit the LQS. The backing is in the wash right now...
Still a bit rainy today so I didn't get the TAW out to photograph...this one will have to do. I am piecing a back for it right now. This will get two large quilts out of the to finish pile. I don't think the rest of the projects are quite as quick though!

16 comments:

KimP said...

Wow. That log cabin is great. I can't wait to see that one finished!

Karen said...

Both are wonderful. I really like the fabric colours in the second one.

AnnieO said...

Log Cabin is my favoritest old timey quilt pattern--especially with red centers. What a great (big) quilt you have there. Are you gonna quilt that yourself?

Jenny in Belgium said...

two great quilts, look forward to seeing them quilted.

Tammy said...

Both are very beautiful quilts, what a great find and surprise to realize you had one done that you didn't remember it was finished. I wish I could find one like that but instead I have a to do pile a mile long and 2 cut out in various stages and stuff keeps coming up so that I get maybe an hour or two here or there lately. By the way, I love your kitty - so regal.

antique quilter said...

two beautiful quilts
I just love the log cabin, some reason I am just loving LC's right now.
I am ready to make another one!
what size is the red square center?
Kathie

Tonya Ricucci said...

hmmm, time to start writing notes and pinning them to the work in progress... look at you getting things done - woohoo

*karendianne. said...

Oh Goldie my girl, you're beautiful in this photo.

What the heck with the eyes man?!

Beautiful quilts and a great post you shared with the story behind both. I've never done a pieced backing. I think the final part of finishing turns me off to tell you the truth.

Karen said...

Are you going to quilt the log cabin yourself?

Millie said...

Both quilts are beautiful...the colors are so warm and rich.

Dionne said...

I love your log cabin, it must be so nice to pull out a quilt project only to realize that its DONE!
Cheers,
Dionne

McIrish Annie said...

both of those look fabulous! I know how good that must feel to get them done..

I mean I sort of remember from a looonng time ago, the feeling of getting a quilt finished.LOL!!

Loris said...

I love the scrappy fabrics in both of your quilts. What a great surprise to find them ready to go.

Diane said...

Beautiful Log Cabin! The combination of "brights" and high contrast "lights" makes for a striking quilt.

Sunna Reyr said...

If I found a top finished that I thought not done I would feel as if I'd won the lottery. Both quilts are just beautiful, I'm getting more of a Log Cabin fan the more I see of them.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Don't you love it when you surprise yourself! I often leave notes to myself so I know what I was thinking...it's like hearing from a long lost friend ;o)