Friday, February 12, 2010

New things...

I guess I just going to write this off as a play-month...
My sister showed me how to do rug hooking last week and I have started a sampler piece. She gave me some "worms" (already cut wool) but I wanted to try some different patterned wools so pulled some from my very meager wools stash. I made a run at dying some...

the bottom is the natural and on top of that is the dyed. I found the rougher wools took the over-dye much better than the smooth wool on top that came from an old skirt. (both had been washed and felted a bit before dying.)

Then I went over my friend Maggies house...have to insert cute cat photo of Tom on "his" Kaffe Fasset quilt!)
Anyway I tried using some of her inks and then experimented with what happens when you get the inks wet...
It needs a lot of thread painting and beads to crank it up a notch...and you know I have thread and beads!

Check out this 1930's quilt that Maggie quilted up for a customer. Lots and lots of exposed bias made this a really wonky quilt. I love the colors though....

6 comments:

AnnieO said...

Love your new project! I've always wanted to try rug hooking but have resisted because I just can't start ONE MORE HOBBY right now :) Glad you're having fun playing. It's a short month, go for it!

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, everything looks great; especially love your rug project!

Micki said...

That looks like a fun hobby, and it is going to be gorgeous!
Micki

Michelle said...

GORGEOUS 1930's quilt and I can only imagine how much the bias had stretched over time.

I need to take a week or so to just play. I might just do that next week!

Nines said...

Wow what fun you are having. Glad you are playing- it's good for the soul.

quiltmom anna said...

Sio,
It looks like a fun new project- I love the Kaffe Fassett quilt and the broken Lone star quilt is magnificent.
I have played a little in the beads lately- quilting pretty sporatically
these days. Its hard to make time to do everything.
Hope that you are feeling well these days.

Regards,
Anna