Sunday, July 17, 2011

Quilt Cave Report

In the heat of the summer I find myself hiding in my quilt cave or in the family room doing lots of sewing. It was a bit of a mis-mash this weekend - some hand-quilting, lots of piecing, and even hemming pants (but we're not going to talk about that!)First, I finished quilting a little alphabet doll quilt. It is based on a small quilt shown in the photo below that I bought in Paducha a couple years ago. The letters are quilted not embroidered...I thought that was interesting so tried it myself. I quickly learned that it was easier if I quilted from the top down so I could slip the embroidery floss under the quilttop...it was way too difficult to bury an embroidery floss knot through the quilt top. I used a larger quilt stitch to match up with the stitches in the letters.I need to block the quilt before I bind it. This should also wash out the marker I used for the letters. I think it is fun how they placed the letters to include the entire alphabet - the Q is in a cornerstone and the I and J are combined in one block!

Hopefully today I will catch up on my Civil War block of the week project. This is this weeks block - Railroad Crossing. I love using indigo and cheddar together in blocks. I think this block would make up a really nice scrap quilt...like I need another project!

6 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

LOVE your CW block and you are right, it would be a fabulous scrap quilt.

Impera_Magna said...

You are quite ambitious quilting the alphabet on a quilt... love your CW block! Not sure I'll ever care for "cheddar" but it certainly looks great with the blue!

I'm holed up inside as well... tho we've had a little break from the heat this past few days. Take care!

Gypsy Quilter said...

Hmmm, I think I may have some cheddar and blue to share with you if you need it. Love the alphabet quilt. Very clever idea.

Bonnie K Hunter said...

Love the photos! And glad you are hunkering down and trying to stay cool where you are. :c)

Dawn said...

oohh...cheddar and indigo - GREAT!
Love the little quilt with the letters quilted in - how interesting.
Stay cool!

Tonya Ricucci said...

love the alphabet - that is really cute. and the right size of quilt to be working on in the summer.