Sunday, June 09, 2013

Pattern Drafting

I've been working on those patterns again.  I'm working from photographs so getting the right size is a bit tricky.

Here is how I go about it.  First I print out a photo of the block and mark the half way mark.  The photo is about 7 inches.  Then I cut out some of this grid pattern making fabric.  The size I am going for is 14 inches.

Then I start cutting some templates/shapes from graph paper.  Don't know why but the graph paper works best for me...helps give me perspective as I start trimming.  Usually I start with the largest piece (the vase), then a medium (the pear) and then a small (a bud).  I want them to be right relative to one another. Also, I use a clothes pin to keep the templates together...when they are labeled in red they are the final one!

In the past I've done a mock-up using colored construction paper to check my templates.  This time I had piles of felted wool on the cutting table soooo.....

The colors are a nod to the original....and just need to be pressed on to the flannel background and a bit of stitching...

So now I have to go by the fabric store on Monday and get more of this bright green flannel...looks like I'll be making two small quilts this summer!


6 comments:

Karen said...

Interesting how you use the grid for your design work. Had not thought of that. I have some large applique blocks left to stitch and placement of the many parts is hard to do and have for everything in that area. There is a small line drawing on a graph in the pattern book. I could probably use the grid fabric over my background and line things up that way.

Kathie said...

Very interesting. I always love learning how people work. Thanks for sharing.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Fun. Hope the kitties leave your thread alone.

Janet O. said...

I'm impressed!
And I LOVE your wool version!

Atlas Equipments said...

your articles are always awesome, and the design of your website helps to keep it beautiful.

- Portable Concrete Batch Plant | Bitumen Sprayers | Bitumen Pressure Distributors

Gujarat Carz said...

Loved the put up, can make me feel bad about how normal ours is. I’d be interested to see the CTR/Conversion rates from some of them.

- car rentals in ahmedabad | rent a car ahmedabad | rent a car in ahmedabad