Friday, June 17, 2016

More hand stitching...

Earlier this month I took a "conquer the curve" workshop with Pepper Cory.
my sleepy "fabric guard"...

So far I've finished one block.  I do however have the rest of the blocks all cut out.

finished block..string of pearls

These blocks are not for the faint of heart!  The five blocks are listing in order of difficulty so I hope by the time I stitch this strawberry block together I will not be quite so intimidated!

I did "cheat" a bit and put together the 4-inch star blocks by machine.  The blank spots have drunkards path blocks....those I'll sew by hand!

I chose fabrics to go with the southern folk paintings in my kitchen.  My eyes are doing well right now so I can "see" the red...

when I started piecing this zig-zag top my eyes couldn't see red so not a lot of red in it...either I'm going to pull the red and orange pieces or add more so they don't look so orphaned!

It is way too hot here to do much in the garden.  The daylillies are in full bloom.  The red one above was given to me by my friend Paula last year and is doing well in my front garden!

6 comments:

Sheila said...

I didn't realize your class was on hand stitching curves! Did you hear any advice that would carry over to machine stitching the curves?

Janet O. said...

I've never tried curves by hand. I think machine would be easier for me. Have you tried both ways?

Purple Pam said...

Oh I wish I could take another class from Pepper Cory. She is such a good teacher. I like all your blocks.

Vic in NH said...

Love your zigzag and I vote for more pops of the zingy reds!

Nancy said...

I love that scrap quilt with the plaids! Your curves look oh-so-challenging! But they also look like you've got them under control. Great job!
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Tonya Ricucci said...

funny, I think that zigzag is great just as it is. just little accents of the orange.