Wednesday, February 06, 2008
I hate to admit it but my super bowl challenge quilt became more of a super tuesday project...
When Bonnie said she was going to work on a scrappy bargello as her super bowl project and challenged others to do the same I jumped right in! Without thinking of course...first, the super bowl is on in the middle of the night here and second, New England was playing so most of Monday morning would taken up with my husband watching a tape of an already finished game....
I may have done Ok if I stuck with my original plan. (I hear internet chuckles at this point...) I had cut a basket of 2-1/2 inch strips when I cut the pieces for the Carolina Crossroads. When I raised my hand (digitally speaking) for the challenge I thought I was halfway there. Way too easy...by this point I was getting tired of pastels, 1930', and anything too cute.
So in the early hours of Sunday morning/Saturday evening I ransacked the batik cabinet. Some of these I have had longer than my husband! A lot longer! Anyway, I started cutting. It takes a long time to cut enough batik strips for the quilt. At this point I have worn out a rotary cutting blade, a sewing machine needle and my right arm.
So as of this morning I had three of the six long pieces done and the strips for the other three pieces sewn together but not cut and re-sewn (a process that fascinates my husband..."you're cutting stuff you've already sewn" he said with a really worried look on his face. Like I was so engrossed in the early returns from the voting that I wouldn't notice the yards of fabric I am struggling to keep on the cutting table! I may be spacey but please!)
Anyway, it will be done soon. I am amazed at how much fabric it has used...almost an entire shelf. I think this is destined for one of the nephews...though it is starting to grow on me. I am naming it Vale of Evesham because the colors remind me of driving around the orchards in that area last fall. The bits of black and white batik are for the black and white Tudor cottages there.