Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hearts


I took a break from working on my Carolina Crossroads to make a few heart blocks for the leukemia quilt project. It was a lot of fun to play with something different if even only for an afternoon. I tried a new technique on the paper-piecing (I think I read it in the magazine that Bonnie's article was in but I'm not sure...but I am sure it was in print and not something I came up with!) Anyway, instead of including the outer 1/4 inch seam on the paper you just use a ruler to cut the seam allowance. This is one of those time the photo makes so much more sense....
It just makes less paper to tear away...and that double piece of paper was always a pain. Anyways, it took a couple of trys but at the end of the day I really like this technique.

I am also trying to clear out my quilting room a bit. The thought of packing all this fabric and shipping it yet again is a bit daunting. I gave away some fabric today to one of women in the village and it felt good!
I also went through some of my boxes of vintage fabrics and found these blocks that had been missing since the last move! The one on the right is a favorite of mine...it is about 8 inches square and shid a tiny monkey wrench in the middle and is surrounded by tiny pieces of fabric circa 1870's. Looks just like one of crumb blocks we make now!!!

12 comments:

Marilyn Robertson said...

I just love the antique crumb block! Love it! I will have to try the paper piecing technique you showed. That would save time in the long run. neat!

Unknown said...

Good call on that seam allowance cutting round the block - love the antique crumb block - just goes to show there's nothing really new in quilting

Tonya Ricucci said...

that's a beautiful little block -glad it turned up. yup, utility piecing has a long proud tradition. it's just really unfairly overlooked these days.

Quilts And Pieces said...

MMM! I love that teeny monkey wrench with the fun fabrics around it. Those fabrics are soooo awesome! What a treasure you have!

Lucy said...

O wow i love your antique blocks!! The block at the right is STUNNING!

Gypsy Quilter said...

Great hearts for a worthy cause. Don't you just love red and white. The older quilt piece is awesome. Could it be quilted and then framed?

atet said...

Love that antique block and the ones you've been working on for quilts 4 lukemia. The idea of having to pack everything up would get me motivated as well -- maybe I should pretend?

Magpie Sue said...

Oooo, that little antique "crumb" block is wonderful. You're lucky you're on the other side of the pond or I'd try to steal it!

Clare said...

Lovely heart blocks - thank you so much. I adore the antique crumb block. All the fabrics in that photo are lovely.

julieQ said...

Love your old crumb block, for the colors and for the scrappiness! Your heart blocks are just right.

mereth said...

I like the idea of representing a landscape with the fabrics in your bargello, pretty neat. And everyone loves the little block, there might be a rash of them appearing round the world at this rate!

Nettie said...

Those heart blocks and antique ones looks so cozy and pretty!