Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What to pack...

Packing you ask? "Haven't all your blogs been whining about unpacking?" you cry. Well, this is good packing. (as opposed to unpacking old towels and your husband's golf clubs....) I am headed off to a quilt retreat for a few days!

I wasn't sure I was going to be able to go. When I got around to asking there wasn't any space left in the cabins (the guild starts planning this a year in advance...) I had pretty much decided I would only go up for the day but my eyes aren't doing too well and I can't drive in low light which would only give me a few hours of sewing time before having to pack up to come back home...sad. Anyway, a quilter dropped out and I got the call there was an open spot!
So what to bring? I have cut all the pieces for Bonnie's mystery quilt...I am doing it in purples, greens, browns, shirtings, and golds. Totally scrappy (except for the brown which I used the same one all the way through...not sure why. I think I was just in a groove cutting strips or something....) So mystery quilt is project #1. (This is also a nod to Bonnie since she was my roomate at this retreat the last two times I went...I'm going to miss here but she will be there in spirit/scraps)

I also have a set of blocks won by a member of this guild many years ago who passed away after a long battle with cancer. Her husband gave the blocks to the guild and no one quite knew what to do with them. So they are 80% put together...why do I have so much trouble with that last finishing lap? Oh ya...I trimmed a setting triangle too early and now have to (gulp) unsew the block and reset a new one...duhhhhh. So this is project #2. (the photo of Goldie is from her "supervising" the packing....)

And finally, I have the 1930's dresdan plate project all packed up and ready to come with me...This is hand work and should be good for the cabin at night. Project #3.
Past years I have overloaded myself with projects. Some never even get unpacked when I get there! So if I limit myself there may acually be progress...what a concept! Even so, there is the sewing machine, the bags with the projects, ironing pad, rulers, cutting mat, rotary cutters, bottles of wine (not to be used in cunjunction with the rotary cutters....), cookies, snacks, and of course some clothes and a quilt (weatherman says it will be really cold!) The photo above is from the end of my street. This leads to the Savannah river. At the bottom center you can just make out the raccoon tracks. She like to use this area to wash her food. I haven't seen her yet but see her tracks and her tricks (upended trash cans!) often in our area.

13 comments:

Ali Honey said...

That's good news. You'll have a wonderful time with your friends.
The time spent together like that is so enjoyable - hope it is all perfect.
Goldie is a beautiful colour.

Karen said...

Lots of wonderful projects to work on. Enjoy the retreat.

KimP said...

Have a great time! We can't wait to see what you get done. The cat, however, will be disgruntled that she doesn't get to supervise.

Dionne said...

I hope you have a wonderful time, I've never been on a quilting retreat!
Cheers,
Dionne

*karendianne. said...

Have a fantastic time and sip a glass for me. This is the best thing to look forward to and I'm psyched. Can't wait to see what you accomplish... even if its an empty bottle. *(and yes, I'd like to see proof of that by golly!)

Good. Good to see Goldie supervising. She totally knows how to pack.

Rgn said...

hello!friend I have Regina of..cosita-re-rica.blogspot.com.I am argentina and sorry I do not speak english,but I understand english.your blog this is beautiful.
kisses Regina

Purple Pam said...

Oooooooh! A retreat! Ooooooooh! I love quilting retreats. I get so much sewing done, and even more socializing. Sometimes I actually get something FINISHED! Get lots of rest while you are there.

Nile e Richard said...

Olá amiga,boa noite.
Venho te fazer uma visitinha.Gostei dos seus lindos trabalhos e do gatinho que está muito fofinho.][bjtos.Nile.

sewkalico said...

I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time! Love your colour choices for Bonnie's mystery. If my pace on that mystery is anything to go by you won't need project number 2!!
Have lots of fun and come back feeling quilty!

julieQ said...

Oh, I hope you have a wonderful time! Your colors for the quilt are so very pretty. I know Bonnie would want to be there with you!

McIrish Annie said...

Have a wonderful time on your retreat! and don't worry about the unpacking it will be there when you get back.

I did laugh at your story about falling into the box. that's something that I would do. I could just picture reaching for that FQ.! LOL!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

I hope you have a wonderful time at your quilt retreat - it is always so nice to get away with friends and sew.

I can't wait to see your mystery finished, I love the fabrics you've chosen!

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Have a wonderful time at your retreat. Sewing, pressing & trimming on the DD would probably keep you busy the whole time, but it's good to have some variety.

Your surely do live in a beautiful place, and that's just seeing it in the winter.