Friday, April 03, 2009

Pound cake and musings

I've had a slow few days since the class. It has rained constantly and my balance is not up to puddle dodging! Ahh, but this morning the sun is shining and you can almost hear the grass grow.

So before I go out and do battle with the weeds in the back garden I thought I would post my Peach Brandy Pound Cake recipe. One slice of this cake was all it took to "sweeten" the young sheriff earlier this week and make him forget to write me a the speeding ticket that yes, I deserved. (My bad....had a great CD on and was sipping a cuppa coffee thinking about everything but the speedometer...granted I was in the middle of nowhere!)

Peach Brandy Pound Cake
1 cup butter, softened
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
dash of salt
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons light rum
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon exrtract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup peach brandy

Using an electric mixer beat butter at medium speed for 2 minutes or until soft and creamy; gradually add sugar. Beat at medium speed 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until the yellow disappears.

Sift together the flour, soda and salt. Alternating with the sour cream, add the flour mixture to the batter. (begin and end with the flour) Beat after each addition only until just blended. Stir in the rum, extracts, and brandy. Pour into a greased and floured 12-cup Bundt pan.

Bake at 325 degree for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack in the pan. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

If wrapped well this cake will keep for several days. I think it tastes best about 3-4 days after backing! The flavors have a chance to develop. I serve it plain or with some sliced fruit (like strawberries!)

I did do a quick kitchen project between storms...my dh's DVD collection spread to my former cookbook bookcase. I don't mind losing the shelfspace as much as I just didn't like looking at the DVD's...very messy.
So I was cruising the internet and saw a quick coverup project using fabric over the glass....


It may not be perfect but it keeps that corner from being an eyesore! Even Dh approves...just knock me over....

8 comments:

Loris said...

I like the fabric addition to the bookcase..looks good!
and I hope the pound cake is effective :-)

tami said...

That looks great. It looks much better with the dvd's hidden.

Tammy said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe, I was hoping you would. It sounds so delicious and I adore pound cake!!

KimP said...

LOVING the receipe! I've copied this for future use!

Tonya Ricucci said...

ooh, that fabric looks nice, really goes well with the girls painting.

Darcie said...

Oooh! The Pound Cake sounds delightful. All those flavorful ingredients...yum!

The bookcase looks all cozy. Please tell us what you did sometime! ;-)

julieQ said...

What a great idea! I love it...looks more clean, thank you for sharing!

Paula, the quilter said...

The fabric addition to the case was a brilliant idea. Love the stars in the first photo.