Saturday, August 14, 2010

Left-overs

My most recent quilt top has left an avalanche of left-over bits all over my cutting table/dining-room table. Lots of 1-3/4 inch strips, 3 inch strips, 3 inch (unfinished) four-patches and HST's....hummmmm...it looks like fun!
First, I used a lot of fabrics. Some of the scraps didn't even make it into the blocks! My "process" for the original blocks was to focus on each one separately and not to worry if it would "go" with the rest. When cutting the fabrics I would often cut two components (like a couple of 4-3/4 inch squares to use in the large HST and a couple of 1-3/4 inch strips to use for the four patches.) It helps on folding and putting away time but does create more left-overs. And since these aren't sizes that I use in my scrap "system" I figured I better do something with them now...These are the layouts I have been playing with....

a. basic four-patch alternating with a scrappy patch on point....
b. put the little four patches together and make a larger 4-patch out of the 3 inch squaresc. or maybe a scrappy sashing with the 3-inch squares
d. or make a alternate block and sort of make a chain (saw something like this in blogdom today but can't remember where...my apologies! Also after taking these photos I spent a bit more time at the ironing board!)
On the pet front...Mac is doing ok. He and Graybeard haven't come to an understanding yet but in a way it is helping Mac...keeps him on his toes! Graybeard on the other hand is looking so much better than when he showed up in our yard all skinny and beaten up. He even purrs now when I pet him. On the sad side, neighbors tell me occasionally he still goes to his old home and cries by the front door...

17 comments:

julieQ said...

Poor baby...hopefully he will be at home there soon. Isn't it funny how one quilt leads to another? I just love them both!

Unknown said...

I am (again) inspired as to how you can 'see' how to put together scraps of fabric. Magic!
Very good looking cat with a sad story... He is happy coming to you and he shows it.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Hope Mac gets used to Gray soon! He needs a home. Whee, fun scrap play. I like option A or C!

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Glad to hear that Mac is on his toes!! I would imagine having a cat around would do that to a Scottie.

I think I like A or C.

Jeanne said...

Lots of options! I love scrappy quilts. Gray looks great on your deck. I hope he and Mac become friends soon.

qltmom9 said...

All are pretty, but I prefer D the most.

Lucy~

Loris said...

Great use of your scraps! I'm partial to option C.
Hope Graybeard feels more at home soon. He sure looks like a sweetheart. Thanks for opening your doors and tell Mac thanks for trying :-)

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Love the possbilities! what's not to like about a gazillion 4 patches waiting to be sewn into something?!

Can't wait to see you in just a couple weeks!

Bonnie

sewprimitive karen said...

D is interesting. Hope Graybeard stops feeling abandoned soon poor thing.

Karen said...

I made a quilt in plaids like the quilt block you show. Prairie something or another was the name. I like my quilt very much. I like your fabric choices.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love the 4patch in the churn dash quilt! I think I would like to do that one day. Oh that is so sad about Gray! He is beautiful!

Quilter Kathy said...

WHat great scrappy fun you are having!

Meredith said...

I like both the leftover blocks and the quilt. Aren't the leftovers fun to play with.

John'aLee said...

Thanks so much for sharing your 'process'!
By the way....love the title of your blog! Oh those threadtales we all deal with!

Lori said...

I love scrap quilts and each setting looks fantastic! I'll look forward to seeing which one you choose.

Purple Pam said...

Looks like you have been having fun playing in your scrap bin. Glad the animals are on the mend.

Michelle said...

I love scrap quilts and the scrapier the better!!