Tuesday, August 02, 2011

clean up on cutting board five...

I know I have written about how my projects wander and have been known to migrate into every room in the house and periodically I have to do a roundup...today is one of those days.

Rose of Sharon bush...about the only thing thriving in this summer's heat

I've been so focused on a getting a few projects finished for my guild show in October I have let the gate on the fabric room open and those fat-quarters, spools of thread, packets of needles, and pincushions (not to mention notes, photos and magazines) sure do like to roam.

Since I am going up to New England this week for a couple of weddings I thought it would be nice of me to get all my "stuff" out my DH's way for the week. So I've boxed and bagged ongoing projects. Packed some handwork to do during downtime, and even put some fabric (like the pink and the green from the Jacob's Ladder) back on the shelf.

Some of the fabric pieces are small enough that they get cut into building blocks, quilt seeds or what ever you want to call the pre-cut part of your stash! I do have a couple of active leaders and ender projects...the red, white and blue crumb blocks in the photo above finish at 6 inches.

I have some 1-1/2 inch strips that I am sewing into these 5 inch finished blocks. This project was on the cover of a recent magazine but as I've tidied up the living room I have no idea which one it was...(New edit thanks to several more organized blogger - the pattern is from the August 2011 edition of American Patchwork and Quilting. The quilt is on the cover and was made by Kathy Holland! A name many of you bloggers should recognize!)And I have made about 20 bowties...yes, another Bonnie Hunter "let's play" call...I am using a variety of cheddar through dark gold to yellow for the backgrounds. These finish at 3 inches. To keep the little bits organized I am cutting the bowtie pieces then slipping five sets on each safety pin. I have about a dozen safety pins loaded and ready to go....sounds like a lot but at 3 inches these would only make 18 by 30 inch table-runner! So still lots of cutting to do!Are you wondering where all the brights and modern scraps go? I have these crumb-pieced setting blocks for a spiderweb quilt that is in the ongoing pile....

I plan to get back to work on that one after the quilt show in October.

11 comments:

sewkalico said...

I love seeing other people's WIP's. Just like other peoples scraps, so much more interesting! I need a tidy of the living room, study, spare bedroom, our bedroom etc where my stuff has just somehow spread itself, BUT I have nowhere to put it! Although I could always do with more ;)

Janet O. said...

Love the projects you have going. The rail fence quilt was on the cover of American Patchwork and Quilting August 2011 (issue 111). It is Kathie Holland's design from "Inspired by Antique Quilts" blog. She calls it "Weaving the Rails." I know because that issue is sitting on my sewing table and my rails are all cut. It is my next project in line when my current ones are to flimsy stage.

regan said...

I'm loving all these quilts.....can't go wrong with scraps! Yay!

Have a great trip.....our humidity in New England is passing.....Yay!

Betty Lou said...

My blog friend JanMaree of Cherry Red Quilter, just email me today "Tidying up is like decluttering the mind." I thought that was a quote to remember. Have a good trip.

cityquilter grace said...

love your bowties! i have only one cheddar in my stash so mine's boring, trying to avoid matchy/matchy but couldn't be helped...for now...i'm off to keepsake later this month...LOL...have fun up north with us yankees! let me know if you want a day (or halfday) trip to marden's, about 2.5 hrs north...i can be your tour guide...plus lots of lobster

fancystitching said...

Do you hire out for "gathering up" stuff for others? My entire house is covered with all sorts of quilt things set down here and there. I justify it by saying it is my business, therefore it is allowed to take over the whole house. I MUST get this under control.

LOVE the bow tie quilt. These will be very striking when set together.

Lori said...

my husband has finally decided that we will NEVER be able to leave the house without picking threads off each other.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Wow you have been busy!

Merilyn said...

You do have a few irons in the fire! Love those little bow-ties! You look to be very organised with your scraps, wish I was half as organised!!!

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Gorgeous blocks. Great inspiration to get organised. Love it! xo

antique quilter said...

oh I love your blocks so fun, this quilt is a great way to use up some scraps/stash! oh my love your bowties, yes I took that challenge too! I love these little blocks and well cheddar? how could I not make them too!!!
Kathie