Wednesday, February 27, 2013

1920's embroidered quilts...


I only have a few embroidered quilts.  

This one has a woman in a large hat on one block and lilly pad on the other.  I find it interesting to see that the embroidery was done through the thin batting and the backing so it is part of the quilting.

I have a small doll quilt from the same time period that uses this technique as well.
I like how she squeezed the I and J into one blck and shrunk the Q into a little block so the alphabet would fit in the 9-patches!

I have used this quilt as inspiration for a couple of doll and baby quilts.  

The embroidery floss was easier to "quilt:" with than I expected

 however the stitches are a bit larger and my hand does tire quicker than when using quilting thread.  Also I wish I had used a darker shade of thread on this piece.  There is less thread on the fabric using this stitch this light blue just doesn't hold its own...lesson learned!


Things are a bit crazy here at the house...Macbeth isn't doing well.  Having problems going up and down stairs.  Brownie is failing as well.  Tough to have older pets.




14 comments:

Heather said...

Beautiful! Just wondering how many strands are you stitching with when you use embroidery thread?

tilly said...

I just LOVE the embroidery of the lady, her big hat is wonderful, the ABC is so pretty as well
Tilly

Janet O. said...

I've never seen the embroidery used as part of the quilting like that. Fascinating.
It is hard to have older pets going downhill. My brother just had to put down his longtime friend, the little guy was suffering so. Our whole family feels the loss, he was such a part of our family gatherings.

Tonya Ricucci said...

oh no, my Brownie. she's a tough little cookie, amazing she's done as well as she has for so long. you most definitely have my sympathies.

Frog Quilter said...

So sorry to hear of your babies (dogs) ailments. One of my cats is older and it shows. I hope for you and yours it is just a rough day. Hugs.

I like seeing your older quilts. YUM!

Gypsy Quilter said...

What lovely quilty treasures. So sorry to hear the pets are having problems. It's never easy when they start to have aging difficulties.

Judy in Michigan said...

I'm sad to hear about Macbeth and Brownie...it is hard when they get old. Love your old quilts!

Jan said...

Oh, it is so hard when our fur babies get older. My little poodle is going to be 9 on Saturday. The time goes so fast with them. Sure hope they all have lots of time remaining.

AnnieO said...

Beautiful stitching there!

Sorry to hear about your pets' problems. Our Aussie is nearing 13, getting deaf and now has early kidney disease. He's still pretty spry and has no trouble running up and down stairs as yet when he is on cat patrol.

The Civil War Quilter said...

Sorry to hear your little furry buddies are ailing. I know you'll give them the TLC they need.

antique quilter said...

oh I am so sorry to hear about MacBeth I always love seeing and hearing about him . I enjoy embroidery quilts but not something I would ever want to start doing (notice I didn't say never!) but I do love the blue and white little quilt!
Kathie

sewkalico said...

Oh no poor pets:(
The embroidered quilts are an interesting idea.

Loris said...

Lovely embroidered quilts.
Hugs to those sweet creatures. I seem to love the elderly ones. It's good to find ways to keep them loved and comfortable. Hard to see them struggle.

Merilyn said...

I love the embroidered quilts, they certainly hark back to a gentler time don't they!
Yes, as we grow older so do those furry ones we love, both my dogs (Schipperkes) have 'frosting' around their muzzles now, both are 11 years old this year!