Thursday, April 03, 2014

American fabric update...

About a week ago I posted about some new fabric being made entirely in the USA.
(a few more vintage thimbles from the action last weekend...my friend stayed for the entire auction and bid on these for me!)

Well my order arrived this week and yesterday I ran some through the wash.  Here is what I thing (my opinion only....)

1.  The colors are really nice.  Slightly softer than Kona.  No bleeding nor fading after a washing in warm water with regular detergent.

2. The weight is a bit lighter than I expected but is ok...somewhere between Kaffe Fasset double shots (lightly woven) and Kona solids (dense weave.)  It did :thicken a bit during the wash.  It would work well for paper-piecing or applique (but not the base/bottom piece of applique.)  I do not think I would use it for a back nor a binding.

3.  There is shrinkage...a lot!  Almost an inch for the width and length of a yard piece.  This isn't a problem but is nice to know when you figure out how much you need.  Also that is more than most current fabrics so if you mix it unwashed with others it may cause more puckering/wrinkling after the quilt is washed than you expected.  (since I wash every piece of fabric coming into the house this isn't a problem.)

Today I'm going to iron these and do a test run in a paperpiece block.  let you know how that goes!

Got a great book in the mail...

So want to get up to Boston for the exhibit!  If you love lots of photos of quilts this is a book for you...I only have one little tiny "issue" and that is the color choice for some of the print...made it difficult to read a few pages.  That is such a small thing when you see all the wonderful quilts though!  Everyone is sure to find some inspiration on these pages!(heck they had me at the cover!  just hit me...the new American fabric line has all the colors in this quilt!)

12 comments:

Donna Keating said...

Thanks for your review of the new American made fabric. I'm anxious to hear how it sews up.

Janet O. said...

Appreciate you letting us know about the American made fabric. Do keep us informed on how it works up in your piecing.
What a lovely little bunch of thimbles your friend nabbed for you!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I'm not surprised at the shrinkage. I wash all the fabric I get too. Always amazed that 5" charms lose almost a quarter inch on one side so you end up with rectangly squares.Still haven't cracked open the book...

Tammy said...

I've seen thimbles in antique shops, etc. Can you give me a price range I should consider when purchasing. I have no idea what is reasonable to pay. Thanks for the info on American fabric!

Pam in KC said...

I just ordered a swatch card last night. Can't wait to hear the rest of your results.

Teresa in Music City said...

Those thimbles are adorable! How nice your friend was to bid for you so you could have them :) I haven't tried any of the American Made fabric yet - these are very good things to know about it - thanks!

Janet said...

Yeah for more thimbles!! That looks like a fabulous book!

cityquilter grace said...

thanks for the critique on made in usa fabric, be excited to see something made with it...

Purple Pam said...

Thank you for your evaluation of the American fabric. I am wondering who might have some where I live?

Cherry said...

I am considering buying some of this fabric to try to support a made in the USA product so I appreciate your review. I too am a pre-washer. No fabric goes into the stash until it has been washed! I want to use it for regular piecing and I don't like lightweight fabrics. I think I get some test half yards here next week but how do it sew up for you?

Gail said...

I think it's great that you reviewed this new USA fabric. I'm sure as it becomes more popular, the quality will improve. We still have 100's of thousands of sq. mill footage available in New England so maybe that industry will return at last.

I also prewash all of my fabric and usually I get the rolled eyes when I tell other quilters and shop owners that I do this but I have several reasons, besides shrinkage there is sizing applied to all of the fabric and residual dye that can be an allergen. When I first started to sew at the age of 15, I was very allergic to the sizing that was applied to the fabric during milling.

Great post and congrats on Watson, he's a real cutie!

Gail l:)

antique quilter said...

I went to the exhibit and have posted a few pictures on my blog about it. are there any quilts you want to see my pictures of let me know I will be happy to send you the pictures I have of them….
Kathie