Sunday, March 30, 2014

Auction finds!

I did get to go to the auction Saturday and I'm glad I made the effort!

This woman had more thimbles, boxes, thimble boxes even, and other sewing items than I've ever seen in one place!  (It made my husband very nervous.  "You are only getting one thimble, right?" he asked.  Silly man!)

There were however many folks there for the sewing items and several aggressive dealers bidding so I didn't come home with too much.  Happy (?) to say I stayed within budget even with the cake dish I couldn't resist!  (crystal is going for such little money how could I not bid!)

The auctions here are not nearly as organized as the ones I went to in England.  The auctioneer was sort of making lots as he went along just keeping them within the cosigner grouping.  This works well for the dealers but for those of us who just collect it means we go home with some things we don't plan on.  Some, like the German needle barrel, are a happy accident...others not so much!  I mean do I really need two walnut shaped thimble cases?  hummm...obviously the woman who collected this stuff would disagree since she seemed to have at least of half-dozen of everything!

All in good fun.  It did wear me out though.  Glad we had home-made New England Fish Chowder and banana bread left over from the day before so I didn't have to make dinner!

I did however pull out an UFO to try and get a quilt out to the folks in Washington who lost so much n the mudslide last week....have the back ready just need to get it quilted, bound and shipped.  First however, I need to get Goldie out from underneath it! (can yo spot the "quilt" tail!)

5 comments:

Impera Magna said...

What a nice assortment of sewing items... very interesting!

I did think I spotted a kitty under/in that quilt top! What a nice thing to do to send a quilt out to Washington to those who've lost so much.

Janet O. said...

Your DH's comment made me smile.
Looks like you found some cool little treasures. I've never seen the walnut type thimble case--but then I'm not sure if I've ever seen a thimble case at all. : )
Nice to have a quilt inspector that takes their job seriously.

Laura in IA said...

Beautiful collection of sewing supplies. The country auctioneers in my area do the same thing with the thimbles. That is how I ended up with 100 (including ceramic) thimbles for the price I was willing to pay for one lovely repousse grape thimble. My dear husband has been know to attend auctions I cannot make to buy what I am desiring - he's a dear that way. I don't do jewelry so the thimbles become my jewels. The antique sterling thimbles are such a dream to quilt with and way more reasonable than the modern day sterling thimble prices. I imagine you got a far better deal than they were willing to make at the quilt show you recently attended. I am tickled for you and keep coming back to look at your new treasures. Enjoy!

Me and My Stitches said...

Husbands...they are funny (and sometimes oh-so-clueless!). Love the treasures you found at the auction, even the walnut - so unique! I'm sure your quilt will bring a lot of joy to whoever receives it - just don't mail the kitty!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What lovely treasures...I never think to look for sewing items at the antique markets and auctions...I'm going to keep my eye peeled for little treasures like that.