Saturday, November 01, 2014

Scary Halloween!


Needless to say I had to stay alert to keep Watson and Dobby away from the candy.  Difficult when one can go high (Dobby) and one goes low (Watson!)

Early in the day I went on a another Photo walk with the Augusta Photo Festival.  This time we visited a closed Textile Mill here in town.  This mill made Denim used by many of the big name jeans manufacturers.  The mill was in use until 2006 and had been active for just over 100 years.  (for those of you not in the U.S. - 100 years is old here!)

The machinery has all been removed however the power-station still operates and generates electricity from the river.

It was interesting to shoot in such low light. 

As a quiltmaker I was looking for evidence of the textile mill everywhere...The blue is from the dye room.  There was a long shallow pit in the center of floor and the walls were painted various shades of blue and indigo.

So I'm trying to think how I could incorporate this into a quilt.  I don't want to make a blue jeans quilt (been there done that and my hand still hurts!)  Maybe one with lots of indigos, greys and some oranges.  Those are the colors I remember most from the day...

6 comments:

Sherrill said...

You are really getting some good pix! Mention of the jeans quilt made me think of one I made about 25 years ago for my then 2 year old. I wasn't a quilter then but that darned thing was SO HEAVY that if I put him to bed and covered him with it, he was in the very same spot in the am! LOL

AnnieO said...

Some great texture in those pics! Two quilts I have nixed from my list are anything denim, and Tshirt quilts. Never want to make either!

Janet O. said...

Got a chuckle about your comment on denim quilts. So true!
I like your proposed color combo. Would represent this excursion well.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Love the pictures sounds like an interesting day out.

Chantal said...

What an interesting place to visit. Some very beautiful pictures you shared today. Can't wait to see the quilt that will come out of this. Love blue and orange.

Tonya Ricucci said...

great photos. Watson is looking like a dog not a puppy!