Monday, October 27, 2014

Photo Festival

Every two years there is a week long photo festival here in Augusta.  This is the first time I've participated...learning lots!

The first two days I went to classroom workshops.  Day one a basic digital photo workshop.  Like many folks I use about 10% of what my camera can do.  My goal is to get that up to at least 50%...or to be able to rely on knowledge instead of luck for good photos!  The workshop was great...but it felt like my head was going to explode!

Day two was a into to an editing and catalogue software called "Lightroom."  To be honest until I get to really sit down and play with it I can't judge it.  Maybe it was because my brain still hurt from day one...

Yesterday I participated in a Photo Shoot at a local horse farm.  I had decided to focus on using Aperture priority setting and doing animal portraits.  I thought it would be best if I learned one thing at a time.  Not a bad idea but then the first thing the coordinator announced was they would have this beautiful white Arabian horse run across the field for us to photograph! 

She rambled off some camera settings (none of which included what I had studied!) and off the folks marched.  Duh...it isn't that I don't know the setting it is I don't know where on the foolish camera to get to where I can change them!

On my old 35 mm there were a half dozen knobs.  I knew where there were and what they did.  There are more options on my digital camera then there was on my first desktop computer!  (and a lot more memory but that is dating me!)

Today I am exhausted.  Did lots of walking at the farm!  (and I took Bill V.'s advise to try shooting from a low angle which caused me to do lots of crawling around the ground...the goats thought it was amusing!)  So I am taking the day to play with photo editing software. 

How does this relate to quilting you may ask?  Well, I would like to be able to document my quilts with better photos and to take better photos at events like quilt shows. 

And of course to be able to post better "cat on my quilt" photos on my blog!

9 comments:

Janet O. said...

I admire your efforts to learn how to use your camera. You have some great shots here--love the horse with its tongue out. : )
Wish I could step up my photography skills, but first I would need a better camera than my little "point and shoot".

Sherrill said...

You got some GREAT pix even with your 'lack of ability' (think you're kiddin' us there!). The horse, the goat, the chickens--ALL good on the farm!

Chantal said...

Good for you. You should be proud of yourself for wanting to improve your skills. I would love to take a photo course but that involve driving to town every other night. So... I guess I don't want it that bad ... yet! lol

Anonymous said...

Learning new skills is always awkward and humbling. It also keeps our brains working and gives us empathy for kids in school learning all kinds of things at once. I love your photos!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I'm at about 5% of what my camera can do, if you count that as point and shoot. glad you learned lots!

Shirley said...

Great photos and I always enjoy your cat/quilt photos.

Judy D in Upstate NY said...

Beautiful pictures!

Jeanne said...

You shot some great photos, but the best one is the last one. :-)

Elaine Adair said...

What a GREAT and amusing post - the white Arabian horse? Ya can't miss with any photo of such an animal. LOVE the barnyard photos - I don't care if they aren't perfect from a photographers point of view - they are happy! Thanks for memories of horses, goats and barnyards. 8-))