Monday, October 23, 2006

Catching Up

This is my favorite photo of my dog Macbeth. He was running around my sister and her husband's garden in New Hampshire. He looks like something straight out of a Mary Engelbreit drawing!

While I was at my family's house in August two of my sisters and I went to the Lowell Quilt show...it was really good. Next time I would plan ahead to take some classes and stay in the area so I could get the most out of it. The quilts were in multiple venues so it was a lot of walking!

My favorite of course was the exhibit of Roy Pilgram's antique quilts. He showed 5-6 variations on a pattern (ie. Amish sawtooth square) often spanning timeperiods so we could see how different quilters interpretted the same pattern. Unfortunately no photos were allowed at that exhibit...


They also had many of the journal quilts from Houston. It was fun to see several little quilts from folks I know on exhibit! The photo is of one of my sister's viewing Maggie Hunt's fruit quilts - Maggie was in my guild in Georgia (though she lives on the Savannah in beautiful South Carolina!) The variation on techniques used in the journal quilts was really amazing. Some, like Maggie, used one technique or theme for their five journal pages while others did something totally different for each page! It was quite a lot to get through. I like the process though and have been drafting up some journal pages on paper...now the tough part - acually doing them!

I am trying to pace myself getting unpacked. I am however feeling the need to quilt, or piece, or just do something other then just fold fabric. My excuse for setting up the machine before the room is ready - a friend's son needs a vampire cape for Halloween...not like that can wait! Also I have a Halloween jacket 90% done and it would be a shame to miss another year...

5 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

Finish your Halloween jacket - that sounds fun. But making a cape? Dont do it. Save you limited energy for real projects!!! I would love to see those Pilgrim antique quilts. I saw some that he and Roy curated that all quilts had cheddar orange in them - it was marvelous.

Clare said...

Came across your blog via Tonya's blog. You are living in my favourite part of the UK (apart from West Sussex). Here I am in France and you are in the Cotswolds! Check out some of the National Trust properties before they close for winter (end of this month I think). Chastleton House near Moreton in the Marsh is one of my all time favourites.

dot said...

Glad to see you post again. I agree, the machine needs to be put up and the jacket completed. The little boy also needs his cape for halloween. Enjoy your sewing before you start unpacking.

Unknown said...

Siobhan - we've just spent part of this afternoon unearthing some table and bed linen that's been in a box since we moved last September - get out the sewing machine - you'll find whatever you really need from your boxes - the fabric stitching and touching is medicinal - trust me I'm a doctor (only kidding) :o)

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

HHEYYY those are my journal quilts...great pic:> They are now back home upstairs incase someone wants to buy one!!:>