Saturday, March 03, 2007

A day at the Auction


I went to my first antique auction here in the UK yesterday. It was a lot of fun. The weak dollar made me a little timid and though I bid often I only unded up with one lot - 10 pieces of Winchcombe pottery. I was happy. The phto on the left has a few of the pieces - there are a few more mugs, a pitcher and a bowl. There were some chairs that I really wanted but they went for double what I had planned to spend. I was happy when I overheard one of the old dealers near me say the winning bidder was "%$##! mad" to bid that high for them. He saw me smile and told me those types of chairs come up fairly often. (I think he was being nice because I gave him a box with some packing materials...)

Now you folks who live or have lived in the country will find the following paragraph a bit odd but remember I'm a city/suburban woman. I had no idea pigs were so big. Across the street from the auction house is a organic farm and they have a field with pigs and piglets in it. As I was walking from the farm stand to my car I was startled by somthing the size of my DH's Mazda...it was a pig...a big pig. No, a big, big, huge, slightly scarey pig! Pre-historic may be a good adjective. Forge the MS - I was in my car in seconds! So much for my image of cute little piglets!
Traffic is a bit crazy today. An actress, Liz Hurley, is getting married in the town/village a couple of miles from here. There were helicopters overhead as I walked the dog. They have even blocked off most of the parking around the town. What a pain! Of course today would be sunny (ok, at least only partly cloudy) and a perfect day to finish a walk around the town there that we were rained out of a couple of weeks ago....maybe i will get some more sewing done instead.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Ooooh, I LOVE your pottery finds!!! I think you made a wonderful haul! :D

Elaine Adair said...

Would love to have seen that pig! LOL

Unknown said...

I did think about you when I heard on the news that she was getting married at Sudeley Castle - mind you what a WOW backdrop for a wedding! Love that merry monk!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

The pottery is lovely, I am a little afraid, myself, of large farm animals.

Darcie said...

I've never -- thank God -- had the opportunity to have to raise pigs. They can be very nasty! I had a good giggle about your comparison of pigs to Mazdas. You're right! ;-)

Love your pottery finds! Attending auctions will be a great way to meet new folks.

Unknown said...

The pottery you found look really nice, especially the monk! Thanks for sharing the funny story about the pig!

mereth said...

Well, the piglets are little, but they don't stay that way! 25 years ago I was in the pig raising industry, and they can be very scary beasts because they're so big and strong, but most aren't bad tempered. And their eyes are the most similar to human eyes, blue, brown and hazel, AND they're smarter than dogs too. I still like 'em.