Monday, May 26, 2008

Visitors in town

I've been off the grid for a bit. The day after Tonya left my sister and her husband arrived from the states. I like having visitors since it gives me such a good excuse for seeing more of England.

Our first day we spent in Cheltenham seeing the regency style houses and visiting a proper English tea room. We then headed out to the country-side to see some Cotswold villages and take lots of photos of thatched roof cottages and roses. Stanton and Stanway are two of my favorite villages.

The next day we drove down to see Stonhenge and Avebury to see the standing stones. Stonhenge is large and some ways more imprssive but Avebury allows you to go right up the stones (plus the bonus of the sheep and lambs...such a weakness I have for lamb photos!) We also got to see the town my Mom lived in for part of WWII, Tidworth.

I took hundreds of photos that day and am tossing around some ideas of what to do with them. The Stonhenge ones I particularly like. I've even considered an "art"quilt!

9 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

great photos. but an art quilt? really? glad you went to Avebury too. sounds like a wonderful visit with your family.

Unknown said...

I agree Stonehenge is impressive but you feel a bit herded because they won't let you just wander and it's often full of tourists - haven't been to Avebury, must go sometime soon

sewkalico said...

I love stonehenge. My DH took me there and we have lovely photos from that trip (which extended around quite a bit - Stanton sounds familiar, but we travelled quite a bit, largely aimlessly and I didn't keep track!)

Elaine Adair said...

In the US, we would have beer stands, t-shirts for sale, motorcycle posters with half-naked girls, etc. Part of the 'art' of Stonehenge is the openness, pastural setting.

Jeanne said...

Thanks for the photos of Stonehedge!
I'd love to visit there someday.

McIrish Annie said...

yess!! do an art quilt. I'm surprised the queen of wonky is pishshawing an art quilt!! LOL

the pics from stonehenge are fabulous! if you are looking for some inspiration for the art quilt let me know, I'll send you some links!

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Siobhan,
I went to Stonehenge about 30 years ago just after I finished my teaching degree. At that time you could go there and walk amongst the stones but I know that you can no longer do that because of safety and defacing of the stones. It was a very interesting place to visit. It sounds like you and Tonya had lots of fun during the visit.
I am sure that you could create a very interesting art quilt with your beautiful photographs.
Happy Stitching,
Regards,
Anna

*karendianne. said...

Avebury looks really amazing. It just sort of calls to you with the sheep and all, ya know?

Love that final shot!

sewprimitive karen said...

What beautiful photos. What kind of camera are you using? LOVE the photo with the lamb by the stone.