Monday, May 09, 2011

Newspaper clippings

I'm still going through my "things to do" list from Paducah...one those was a promise to Ruby McKim's family to check the box under the bed to see if any vintage patterns were by their grandma.This box was given to me by an elderly member of our guild, Kitty Lamb, a year or so before she passed away. It had been given to her by an elderly friend so needless to say the box is a treasure trove of newspaper and magazine clippings from 1910 to 1970! Since both Kitty and her friend were military wives the clippings cross the country and it is difficult to know where Kitty's started and her friend's begins.
As expected there were a dozen or so blocks designed by Ruby that had been published in the Kansas City Star dated 1929-1931 in the box. Her distinctive name-mark makes them easy to spot! It was fun reading the directions and I may just make a copy of the Virginia Star Quilt before sending these off to the family.

Off to bake some loaves of strawberry banana breads to build up the freezer reserve. Lots of visitors the past week has cleared it out! If I have enough energy many some pistachio biscotti too....

11 comments:

Janet said...

What an interesting box of clippings/patterns! I imagine you could idle away lots of time dreaming about all the possibilities :0) That's great that you were able to find some by your friend's grandma.

sewkalico said...

More for your to-do list in that box I imagine! :-)
Yummy looking bread and the biscotti sounds delicious.

Cathy said...

The bread sounds delicious. Any chance of posting a copy of the receipe??? Hugs

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Those patterns look so interesting...bet your head is spinning with ideas!!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Those old patterns are a treasure! I love them!

And yummmmm on the bread!

Bonnie

Impera Magna said...

How exciting to find the McKim quilt patterns! The strawberry banana bread looks delicious and I love me some pistachio biscotti!

Teresa Rawson said...

I love the old clippings! I keep wondering if people will find my clip files/filing cabinets as interesting some day...probably not! LOL I love saving clippings of patterns and inspiration from lots of sources...should look through them more when I need a project!!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Erin in MI said...

Mmmmm, I've never heard of strawberry banana bread before. Sounds delicious! Can you share the recipe?

Gypsy Quilter said...

What a treasure! Strawberry and banana - hmmm, interesting. What kind of jam goes with it . . . blueberry??

AnnieO said...

What a great box to rummage through! I have all my MILs old "Workbasket" mags and those are fun to look at as well.

The bread looks very tasty.

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Strawberry banana bread sounds like a recipe that should be shared!! YUM!!