Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Strawberry Season...

I am busy trying to get packed for a quick trip up to Boston. There is a memorial mass for my Dad. Also it gives me a chance to see Mom and family.

Log Cabin quilt top circa 1900, purchased in Penn.

Silly me...I put a photo of my banana bread on my last post and didn't post the recipe. This is a combination of a Strawberry Breakfast Bread and a Sour Cream Banana Loaf Bread that I make often.

Sour Cream Strawberry Banana Bread
1-1/2 cups All-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon Wheat Germ (optional)

1 cup sugar

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp lemon zest

2 eggs

3/4 cup strawberries, mashed (I use a potato masher)
1 small banana, mashed

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup sour cream

1/2 cup pecans

1/2 cup chopped strawberries.

In a large bowl stir dry ingredients (flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon)

In a medium blow mix together eggs, lemon zest, mashed strawberries, banana, oil, and sour cream.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the egg mixture. Fold together until just mixed.
Add the chopped strawberries and the chopped pecans. Gently fold.

Pour into a greased and floured 9x5 loaf pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50 minutes. Check after 25 minutes to see if the bread is browning too quickly, if so cover it lightly with foil. Allow the bread to cool in the pan, on a wire rack, for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the pan and finish cooling on the rack. Do not slice until the bread is cool. Bread is best the day after it is baked.

10 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Yum... thanks for sharing the recipe!

Janet O. said...

I've made strawberry bread and I have made banana bread, but this combo is new to me. Sounds so good. When the strawberry patch starts producing I will have to give it a try. Thanks for posting it.
I love the antique quilt top. Very unique!

Linda K said...

Thanks so much for the recipe. I was just telling some friends at my needlework group this morning about your post and that you were going to make Strawberry banana bread, but there wasn't a recipe. It sounded so good, because I make smoothies with strawberries and bananas and strawberry banana yogurt so the combination sounded great to me. And, SURPRISE, here's the recipe today. I'll be making it for sure. Thanks again.

quiltmom anna said...

Sio,
So sorry to hear of the passing of your father.
I hope your trip to Boston is filled with opportunities to remember and celebrate your father's life.
I love strawberries and we have enjoyed some really wonderful ones from the grocery store. Its too early for ones from our gardens.
Have a safe journey.
Regards,
Anna

ann hermes said...

I just love those PA German colors.

Cathy said...

Thank you so much for the recipe. Can't wait to try it. Love the quilt top. Hugs

McIrish Annie said...

looks like you had a great time in Paducah. Have you heard anything about your exam??

i will be trying your banana bread recipe. it's a little early for local strawberries here but i have some from the supermarket and lots of bananas!

Merilyn said...

Have a safe trip! Thankyou for the receipe!! I love the old logcabin quilt too!! Interesting colours, that is their charm!!!

Teresa Rawson said...

YUMMY - thanks for sharing the recipe...I was literally drooling all over myself reading your last post...

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

sewkalico said...

Memorial Mass for your Dad? Did I miss something? I hope you are ok.