This morning I made myself sit down and put the last border on my guild's challenge for the show this October.
Now don't get the wrong impression that I finish things on schedule...or even more misleading - ahead of schedule! We were given the instructions/guidelines for the challenge back in September. For this challenge we pulled three crayons from a paper bag and had to make a piece no smaller than 24 inches on one side that included the crayon colors plus white and gray. We had to use at least three of a long list of techniques (I am using piecing, mitered borders and embellishments.)
My first step was to go through the stash and the scraps to find these colors. A lot of them came from the scrap bags and the 2-1/2 inch square bins were some of the oldest bits of my quilting fabric live.
This mauve-y pink, gray-blue and dark green are not my usual color combination ..at least not in this decade! Most of the fabrics in those colors are circa 1990! Though there are a few from as last as 2009) So with this stack of scraps I had to work on it quickly or the scraps would disappear again...though I am fairly sure not in other projects! These are the types of quilts designed to drive quilt historians crazy in 100 years...and just to be really difficult I tossed in a scrap of circa 1900 double pink...
The saying in the center is on of my favorites. Until a few weeks ago it was on my favorite coffee mug...which is now coffee mug shards. (a victim of a cat chase that went over the couch and across the coffee table...it is what happens when you have three cats!)
It isn't my best but it will meet the specs and best of all it stands a good chance of being finished in time! Finished is good.