Monday, July 28, 2014

Guild Donation Quilts

Each year the guild I belong to makes a quilt to raise funds for Camp Rainbow - a medically supervised summer camp for children with cancer and their siblings.

Even with a large group of quilters working on the quilt it takes a year to make one.  This is our quilt for 2015.  So far about 30 members of the guild have worked on it.  Deadline to finish is October!  Looks like we'll make it (isn't that a song title?!)  But because a group is working on it together we can take on a challenging quilt!

This is the quilt we will draw for in September.  It is a Piece of Cake design.  We have found that bed size applique quilts tend to raise the most money for the camp.

Though this pieced batik quilt did well in 2012.  This was based on an article in Quilters Newsletter on how to do a group pieced quilt.  I'm still not a believer.  It is much easier to put together blocks made by a group that are appliqued!
from Blackbird designs...

These quilts also give an opportunity to go out into the community at the art and the Home and Garden show to raise awareness of the guild.  We always end up with a few new members after these events.

I like how different the quilts are from year to year...(I made the cherry block that year!)

This is another Piece of Cake design.  Since the guild has been doing this for about 15 years many folks search us out at the Arts in the heart festival each September.
Prairie Flowers by B. Brackman
I need to scan in the earlier photos of the donation quilts so we can have them all in one place.  I wish we had kept better records of how much we raised each year.  I guess I could go back through the check registers...what chore!
And just in case you are wondering...yes, I buy lots of tickets to each quilt and no, I have never won one.  That doesn't stop me from trying though!

7 comments:

regan said...

These are all so gorgeous! Just wondering if your guild has a Paypal acct for folks like us to purchase tickets? If even half of your followers bought some, that would be a whole lot of fundraising (without having to sit at a booth! lol) I know I'd love to get some chances on that beauty! :o)

Barb in Mi said...

Wow, beautiful fund raising quilts! Kudos to you and your group! Yep, I would buy tickets, too...

Janet O. said...

I'm impressed with the beautiful work your guild does. Who wouldn't want to buy tickets?!?

Tonya Ricucci said...

fingers crossed this will be your year!!

Chantal said...

I think the 2015 quilt is my favorite but they are all wonderful quilts. Awesome guild to donate so much of their time and talent. Wish you win the next one. Good luck and thanks for sharing all those wonderful quilts.

Betteketet said...

What a beautiful quilts, all of them. (Although the one you're making this year is my favourite.) You and your guild really do a nice job by making them and giving them away. I like Regan's idea about Paypal, it would give much more people a chance to buy tickets (and win that quilt...)
Good luck to you, and I'm glad you're back!
Betty.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Sure hope you're feeling better. Beautiful quilts! May I buy a ticket or 2?