Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Logcabin quilts...

One of my favorite quilt patterns is the log cabin.  There are so many variations for setting the blocks and it can be done either scrappy or not!  Though I have to admit...I love the scrappy best!

This circa 1870 quilt is from Pennsylvania.  The red centers are wool.  The blocks are set on point creating alternating dark and light bands.



This all cotton quilt top has a similar colorway but is turn of the century (1900)  is much different in scale and setting...

This is part of an earlier quilt purchases from the Maryland's eastern shore (folded in quarters)


It isn't in the best of condition (ok...poor condition) but I loved the hst's used for the centers and the pieced borders.

Here is a top purchased in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.  The colors are so Penn!  Using log cabins as part of a "four patch" design is unusual.  These fabrics are difficult to date as they were printed for a long timeperiod.  I'd say this was circa 1900...

Not scrappy but still fun.

Below is a crib quit done as one large uneven log cabin.  It looks like it may have started with an orphan block and just grew!  This came from Pennsylvania circa 1880.  I've made a reproduction for it for my sister.  A fun project.



This is one I made using repro-fabric scraps from other projects.  I has the traditional red centers for the blocks.
It has piano key borders on two sides which used up even more scraps and gives my Dh a hint on how to lay it out on the bed!

Sometimes you don't have to make a whole log cabin block...the little color study below uses a quarter log cabin block.  The center block is a hst and takes a bit of planning...the inspiration came from the antique hst quilt.

Here is another quarter log cabin in a different setting...and king size...

This blue and yellow design below is from a Kaffe book..


A more "controlled" scrappy.  It takes more planning than the other log cabin layouts.  Again I used the left-over strips to make a border.

This little quilt was made up from scraps and donated...a good use for orphan blocks!  I always end up with a few extra when I make log cabin quilts!


And even smaller...this is about 16x16.  I stitched it up during a snow storm.  Lesson learned - don't hand sew on paper!  Duh!  Also learned however, that log cabins can be made really tiny!

12 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Wow that one with the cat & the rainbow one I didn't even realize were log cabins...

AnnieO said...

Love log cabin but I've only made one quilt from them. Hmm, maybe another was really a quarter log cabin...
Thanks for the show!

Karen said...

It sure is nice to have you back in action! I love log cabins too. The scrappier the better!

Janet O. said...

I, too, love log cabins. Fun to see all of these variations, both old and new.
My first vintage quilt purchase was a log cabin quilt.
I have incorporated log cabin blocks into quilts, but the only entirely log cabin quilt I have made was a tiny AAQI quilt. I love your little log cabin mini!
Somewhere in my sewing stuff is a box of strips for a LC quilt I started once. Need to finish it someday, too. : )

Impera Magna said...

What lovely log cabin quilts... such a variety of layouts! Haven't made a log cabin yet but definitely will have to... and you've provided a lot of inspiration here!

Vic in NH said...

Good to see you! Thank you for the tour of the Log Cabins. My favorite one was the one that you made with it's jewel toned reproduction fabrics. That's on my personal bucket list.

Chantal said...

You are right, so many variations for setting the blocks. I just found some more on these pictures I didn't know of. Haven't done a log cabin yet but it is on my list of to-do. I'm sure it will be scrappy, knowing myself. Thanks for sharing.

Me and My Stitches said...

The first quilt that I ever made was a log cabin quilt, in the barn raising setting (still my fav setting!). I just love all log cabin blocks!

Betteketet said...

Wow, what a great quilts. I always thought a log cabin quilt is not my type, I somehow found them a bit boring. But you've shown me all those different ways of log cabin, and now I really begin to like them... And maybe, one day I will make one myself... So: thank you for the inspiration, really love it.
Betty.

Elaine Adair said...

I love the large log cabin - esp. the BLUE that pops! It's a real beauty!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

great quilts. definitely love those red white and blues and wheee pink yellow and red!

Karen said...

The red, white, and blue antique log cabin quilt in the first photo is a beauty. I was surprised to see plaids and stripes when I viewed an enlarged photo.