Saturday, May 28, 2016

A "new to me" sailboat quilt

I went to a local estate sale this week because the photos online showed a stuffed sewing and craft room.  It was "stuffed" but not just with stuff but with people...boy was it a crowded sale!

I did however get a twin size quilt pieced in a pattern I had never seen before.  Now if I was going to make a sailboat quilt (again) this would be the last pattern I would choose!

Talk about making something difficult!  Anyway, I posted the quilt on a vintage and antique facebook site and within a few hours one of the members had the info I needed on this quilt...

I did give the quilt a good bath when it got home...it had a few stains and really didn't smell so good.  Glad to report stains are gone and it smells fine!  Fabric are all solids: medium green, watermelon pink, and an off white.  The back is off-white and the binding is front to back.  There is some bunching in the batting.  I'm estimating mid-1940's.

I also got some vintage packages of needles.  These are tricky to buy since so many reproductions were done and sold in stores like Joannes but since one of the packets is printed with "made in occupied Japan" I'm pretty sure I'm good on these.

7 comments:

Kathy in FL said...

Such a different block. I'm tempted to make this for my new great-niece (born April 30) who lives near Newport News VA.

Pam said...

This is a darling quilt. It would probably have been easier for the maker as I assume she hand pieced the blocks. It is so unique and I like the colors!

Judy in Michigan said...

I had never seen a block like that! I wonder what would happen if you mailed 10 cents to the address on the clipping? with a self addressed and stamped envelope of course! Hmmm, wonder if the Cincinnati Enquirer is still around?? You find the coolest quilts!

The Civil War Quilter said...

Great find! I've never seen that Sailboat pattern before either. I also collect needle packets. Do you have quite a few?

Janet O. said...

That really is a unique sailboat block--and a complicated one. : )
Love the vintage needle packs. I've never seen the label "made in occupied Japan".

starflash quilts said...

Super quilt, but I don't think I'll make one!

AnnieO said...

Wonderful graphic sailboats, such fun colors! I have some vintage needle packs from my grandma like that.