Sunday, April 30, 2006

LIved to tell the tale...


Who knew that packing could be dangerous! (I mean packing up my quilt room not packing heat for you mystery fans....)

I was making an attempt to cull some of the fabrics I will never use, projects I will never finish, patterns and books never open...you got the idea...from my sewing room. The photo is the non-dangerous side of the room...this gives you and idea of what I was working with!

Anyway, while pulling a basket from a top shelf the entire bookcase just fell forward. It was all very strang and in slow motion. I also fell backwards and fortunately rolled underneath the sewing table. It was like being in a very odd tent with mountains of fabric falling all around me. I must of screamed because the men working on my neighbors lawn came running to the window and were shouting to me in Spanish while my Scotty dog barked and my gold cat gave me the evil eye for invading her hiding space! Needless to say I am shaken but fine. My neighbor and the yard-guys came in an moved the bookcase back on end freeing me from beneath the table. I was worried my sewing machine was hurt but it seems a Viking can take a fall and keep on sewing!

I am angry at myself though...I was told at least three years ago to put brackets on the wall and to scew the top of the bookcase to them to prevent just what happened. Did I do it? Noooo. Put aside the fact I have MS and really crappy balance, I'm only 5 foot 4 inches so most of the bookcase's shelves are a reach for me! Dumb, dumb, dumb... So my advice - bolt those puppy's to the wall or really hold your ground for built-ins!

8 comments:

dot said...

Glad to see you are posting again, also glad to hear you didn't get hurt. Your space looks about as messy as mine. I don't plan to post any pictures of it either.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Sio!!! It makes me so crazy that I can't take care of you and I can't smack you upside the head from all the way over here. You have to take better care of yourself! Make sure the next sewing room is properly fixed up please. I'm soooo glad you weren't hurt and the sewing machine still works. Goldie still loves you.

The Calico Cat said...

cute cat - too bad about the fall, I'll hold my ground for built-ins!

Quiltgranny said...

Man, I agree with Tonya about needing a smack on the side of the head! Ah, but, I'm glad you didn't get one! How lucky for you to have rolled under the table, and that you had someone to come and rescue you. Quite the story, they're telling, I'm certain!

Now, tell us that you haven't stacked it all up again like that, won't you?

Patti said...

Oh my, I'm so glad you are all right! I have a very fun book that someone bought me years about about being a fabriholic. In the end of the book she dies under a falling mountain of fabric. Your experience makes it seem way less funny!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Absolutely great advice. A child was killed by a falling bookcase this past winter in Austria and that same week my DH was at the hardware store buying bolts for anything that wasn't already bolted to the wall. I am so happy to hear that you are none the worse for wear and alls well that ends well - but definately bolt those things to the wall. That goes for anyone with tall cabinets/bookcases in their houses and if you think you don't need it - well you never know when a small child will come to visit.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Judy said...

That reminds me that we need to re-install the bolts on our big bookcase. We didn't after it got moved last month. I need to pit on on my cabinet that's loaded with fabric. I know how heavy that stuff is. You are making me nervous about having to potentially pack up my entire sewing room if we move. We are looking, casually, for something larger and you never think of the work involved!

Glad you are okay after the big fall. Don't stack them back up so high until you can pack them away for the move.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

I am so glad to see you are okay after that bookcase avalanche! MAN!! I am with Tonya...next time those shelves go up...bolt them from the get-go!

Bonnie