Tuesday, May 02, 2006

E-bay blocks


My sister (one of them) has a blossoming addiction to ebay that has spilled occasionally into the quilting arena. I say unfortunately because she does not quilt so the half finished projects she "wins" online ends up in my UFO pile! As if I don't have enough UFO's of my own to feel guilty about!

The photo is of one of these projects. The interior blocks with the star were sent to me a couple of years ago (my plan is if I take extremely long times to get them done she will stop sending them!) I let them age for a few months..maybe 12-16...in my stash. Periodically I would take them out and play with them but it took a long time before I decided to set them on point and mix it up a bit. I'm just not a 4- fabric-quilt sort of person! Anyway, this came out of the almost finished pile and is going to travel with me so I can hand quilt it...at this point a few more weeks or months isn't going to make much of a difference!

I have recovered from the weekend's excitement. The fabric has been packed into boxes so they can't "attack" again. My neighbor has volunteered to take everything down off the shelves on the other side of the room to make it easier for me rummage through. I'm not sure if the instinct to tuck and roll was from jumping out of planes in the army or bomb drills that had us hiding under the desk in elementary school..what ever it worked!

Well DH is calling...the Red Sox/Yankee game is on TV and he doesn't like to cheer alone!

4 comments:

Finn said...

Those blocks worked up into a really neat quilt! I agree that handquilting it would be the way to go. Funny how some of "them" just seem to demand hand quilting..*VBS*

Tonya Ricucci said...

Practice the word "no" - "no, you have to learn to quilt yourself, I'm not doing it for you." You certainly improved those blocks - love the red.

Quiltgranny said...

I love the red in the blocks, too - nice "save"! Say, can I send you some of my blocks to age on your toppling shelves, too?

Patti said...

I really like what you've done with these blocks - it's now quite striking. This is a good stretch for your creativity - keep telling yourself that!

In the meantime, I think your sister needs to learn to quilt!