Sunday, May 13, 2007

Family tourists

I've seen more of England the past few days than I have in the past several months! My niece and nephew are visiting and we have put a lot of miles on the car and worn my legs out!


Friday we to several villages around my area then headed up to Stratford on Avon. My niece is an English major so I thought this would be a good fit! I was amazed at the number of Americans that were there! I also didn't realize just how big a town it was...lots of shopping available. The guide at the Nash house was particularly good. The photo above is of the garden there.




Friday we headed up to Warwick Castle. It was a good choice. I had no idea my nephew was that interested in medieval armor! You could easily spend a day there...it took me almost that long to walk up the narrow steps to the top of the turrets! The gardens there were beautiful too. Later we walked around the town - lots of interesting antique shops that I need to go back and investigate! On the way back we stopped in the village of Broadway and later went to Hailes Abbey. A pretty packed day. I made dinner that night, chicken with eggplant, then we went to a thatched roofed pub in Prestbury for an ale. It also gave me a chance to retell the ghost stories I learned from some of the locals! (It claims to be the most haunted village in England!)
We had a great rainbow too. You could see almost the entire arch and as we were trying to take photos of the very base of the rainbow another rainbow started to form. Very fun.
Today unfortunately was very rainly. We dropped my nephew off at the busstation so he could make his way back to Heathrow and then on to San Diago. My niece is here for a few more days. She and I went into Tewksbury and saw the abby but after getting soaking wet decided that going home and putting in a few movies was a good idea. She has been traveling for weeks and was pretty worn out. So today we watched "Good night and Good luck," and the second Harry Potter, "The Chamber of Secrets." We also made Tacos and brownies. Good comfort food.
I have tried several times to get through to my Mom to wish her happy birthday but so far no luck - just the answering the machine. So frustrating.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaah, you're making me homesick! My nana and poppa used to take us kids to Stratford on Avon and Warwick castle at least once a year and I loved it. I think they are my favourite parts of England.

Tazzie said...

Gorgeous pictures, thank you for sharing. I bet your visitors are having a wonderful time.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Unknown said...

Oh, it's so pretty. I'm going to have to come for a visit. LOL

Hugs,
Melinda

Unknown said...

Well you've done better than me Siobhan - I've lived in England all of my life bar 6 months in France and never been to Warwick Castle or Stratford on Avon (except driving through) The picture of the rainbows is beautiful - they are so gorgeous but you seldon get to catch them on camera

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Sounds like you've been having a great time. Warwick and Stratford are 2 of my favourites too.
I phoned my mom in Canada this morning to wish her a Happy Mother's Day and she'd forgotten all about it...and I'm the one in the UK which celebrates in March! Sheesh!

Clare said...

I second what Anne said. I never visited Warwick Castle or Stratford. One of the houses I wanted to see was Chatsworth. Never got there. I used to read the National Trust guide in bed so that I got to know the houses that I wanted to visit the most. How sad is that!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

What incredible sights to see and places to visit. The photos are wonderful, the double rainbows... just too cool!