Monday, May 14, 2007

Maryland Applique Quilt



My niece and nephew have gone back to the states and the house feels very quiet. Even the pets are fast asleep.





I thought I would post a few photos of my Applique quilt dated 1864. Most of the signitures are from Maryland however there are two from Pennsylvania. It makes sense since the towns listed are all on the border of the the two states.




The blocks are about 17 inches. The fabric that now reads blue would have been green. The dye process then was to over dye the blue with yellow to get green. Unfortunely it didn't stand the test of time!


I saw a few blogs that quilters were listing their fantasy or dream quilt. This would be mine. I've had it for over 12 years and each time I take it out I wonder why I have waited to start making the blocks! They are not overly complicated. Many are so "wonky," like the flower and berries above, that I could almost applique it freehand! I just need to sit down and start. I think I have collected enough fabric to make it ten times over.




11 comments:

CONNIE W said...

The quilt is gorgeous. It looks like it's in great condition.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh it is beautiful! I love some of those blocks!

Fiona said...

It's lovely - get on and make your own version, it would be really interesting to see them side by side.

Unknown said...

Siobhan - it's exquisite - funnily enough the thing that I liked most about it when I first opened up your blog this morning was that gorgeous 'smoke blue' colour that the green had faded to - Laura Ashley did a whole range of furnishing stuff in the early 80s in that colour and I always loved it - Go for it on your own version - whats stopping you? :o)))

MARCIE said...

Very nice quilt. I will be watching for your own version. Great plan!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

It is absolutely beautiful...and isn't it wonderful that you have so much info about it on the quilt...that's a rarity. It would be lovely to see how a modern version would turn out with greens staying green. Thanks for sharing.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

My goodness that a beautiful quilt. It's down right pristine for an 1864 quilt-faded green/blue or not. I would be tempted to make a replacement of that as well. Our group is getting ready to partner with an antebellum home here in Kentucky, USA, and make replacements for theirs.

Nettie said...

I love the folk art look of those flowers and berries. Also that smokey blue. Looking forward to your version.

Rose Marie said...

Thank you for sharing this lovely antique quilt with us ... you are so lucky to own it!

Lucy said...

This quilt is stunning ! What a beauty! And you are so lucky to own the quilt !

Patti said...

What an incredible quilt! Thanks so very much for sharing! You are so lucky to have this.