Saturday, May 19, 2007

Quilt Show






This has been such a busy week...can't do too many like this! Thursday I went to an auction preview to see another sampler. It was a good news/bad news: Bad news - the sampler wasn't anything I was interested in; good news - it made the decision on going to the quilt show on Friday easy!


I met up with some of the Fairford quilting group on Friday at the Quilt show in the Malvern Three Counties Showground. For several of the folks it was their first quilt show so it was fun to see their reaction to the quilts and the vendors. (And before I forget I got the most American-like hot doughnut at the coffee stand outside the showground...heaven!)
I was impressed by the show. Most of the quilts have a definate British feel to them. The best in show was a green wholecloth done with the Welsh/British designs. I loved this quilt! The quilting was beautiful. The photo seems to emphasis the color gradation a bit more intense than it is in person.





The second quilt also won several ribbons. I would be more specific about who made the quilts however as I ran to my car in the rain (surprise, surprise, surprise...) I must have dropped the show booklet. Must have been that mudslide I did for the last 15 feet to the car. Anyway back to the quilts...the blue applique was done entirely by machine. Now I do my applique by hand and admit to being a bit of a "hand stitch snob" but this quilt may have converted me! The holly block on the bottom orw second from the left was don so that the leaves looked like they were velvet. The stippling was soooo tiny and perfect.


I really like it when I see colors or techniques that I had turned my nose up at a show and find myself loving the quilt! The photo on the left is one of those quilts. She used the cathedral windows technique but used beautiful fabrics and then surrounded it by the flying geese. At the end of the day - a very classy looking quilt. (So unlike the cathedral window potholders I made in high school!)
I will post more photos later...blogger is being tempermental and taking its own sweet time with the photos. I volunteered to help at the British American social groups table at the boot sale this morning which ment and early wake-up only to get the whole thing set up then the rain came pouring down (seems to be a theme here.....) I got home drenched and cold. I went right back to bed to restart the day.....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That shaded whole cloth looks very much like a Sandie Lush - but of course if you'd retained the book you could tell me :o) never mind Siobhan, glad you had a good day - hope you've not knocked yourself up too badly - interesting to hear an american take on an english show

Kim said...

Beautiful quilts! You have me curious about the donuts, though. I've only had American donuts--what are British donuts like?

Alotta.knittin said...

You have a wonderful blog. Beautiful quilts, great photos!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I appreciate techniques that I haven't tried before, too. These are exquisite quilts pictured. I absolutely love hand applique but now love machine just as much after taking a few workshops from Sue Nickels. I think my aversion to machine applique was from what I perceived to be as a loss of control, but I have a much better handle on that now and am pleased with the results.

The Calico Cat said...

Thanks for the show... Love that gradiated whole cloth...

mereth said...

That machine applique quilt is stunning! Great photo, I like being able to enlarge it and see all the detail. The wholecloth is one of my favourite types of quilts, and that one is beautifully done.

Rose Marie said...

The quilting on the whole cloth is to die for! What a work of art and I like it that the fabric is not all one colour which is unusual and makes it more interesting to look at.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

atet said...

Ooooh, pretty eye candy. I know, not exactly the most articulate of responses -- but I think I've finally gone and lost my brain! Love the photos of the quilt show.