Sunday, March 15, 2009

Camp Rainbow Quilt


Each the guild I belong to makes a donation quilt to raise money for Camp Rainbow. This year the quilt is called "Civil War Scrapbag." Camp Rainbow provides a summer camping experience for children with serious illnesses, primarily cancer.
Anyway, today we were allowed to set up a table at the annual home and garden show here in Augusta. Four hours on my feet and I was so tired. The good news - folks were very generous and we raised a lot of money for the camp.

Now we usually sell tickets at our quilt show, quilt guilds and the annual arts fair in town. This was a different crowd for us and we had a few observations. First, guys in Harley Davidson apparel buy lots of quilt tickets. Don't know why...is it they really love quilts? Need quilts after driving around on a cold rainy day like today? or when they hear "children with cancer" they just open their wallets. Nice guys all of them. Second, several young military kids just handed us a dollar and asked if they can just make a donation...they weren't sure where they would be in September when the quilt drawing is going to be held. With all the negative stuff that is on the news it just sort of made me feel good.

Just a quick photo of a little (6 inches by 6 inches) pillow my sister made for me. The fabric is from the sofa that was in my Parent's living room while I was growing up. This Christmas my Mom had it reupholstered. It is nice to have a little reminder of home. I'm using it on my dresser to hold some brooches.

Now, off for some more needed sleep!

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a really pretty quilt, I especially like the applique blocks they really add something to the quilt.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Lovely project - and what a sweet pillow.

Tammy said...

what a beautiful quilt, someone is going to be VERY happy to take that home. I know a few harley guys and i think that in general most of them are very kind hearted and giving individuals, but they sure can look rough. love the pillow, what a great idea to save a piece of your history.

Tonya Ricucci said...

what are you doing, standing around that long - take a chair! glad folks were so generous - it's a lovely quilt.

Tricia said...

I think the idea of the cushion is wonderful. Too often our childhood memories disappear. My sister made me and our sister and our daughters necklaces from crystal beads that belonged to our mother, who passed away 30 years ago. They are not worth anything but they mean so much because I remember her wearing them. As I am sure you have memories of being curled up on that sofa on a wet sunday afternoon.

Diane said...

What a clever keepsake that pillow is.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

I love the quilt. good cause. hmmm, maybe I should make one and invite all my friends to help too!

*karendianne. said...

What a sweet pillow and Sio, check out that fantastic quilt with the BFan! Wow.