Sunday, March 22, 2009

Pajamas at noon

Well as you may have guessed reading my last post...I overdid it with the gardening, kitten care, and running errands. (Just because you know your limits doesn't mean you abide by them!) So today was a very quiet and lazy day. You know the walk the dog then go home and get back into your pajamas kind of day...

I did play in the sewing room a bit (check out all the neatly folded repro fabric in the photos!) and resolved a long standing eye-sore - my sewing chair. Now I did have a really nice ergonomic chair but it had rollers. I had it until the day I stood up too quickly. Grabbing the arm of the chair and I then went flying head first into the bookcase. Duhh! No more rolling chairs for me. Fortunately I had this chair that was part of an auction lot sitting in the spare-room. I was planning on getting rid of it but it was really comfortable. The chair is light but very stable. It has a wide seat and I am getting to the point in my life that a wide seat is a very important attribute. The big problem though - it was a pretty depressing looking chair.
So reupholstering this chair went onto the "to do" list. Now I like to reupholster but choosing the fabric for this sort of project takes almost as long as picking out a border - for those new to this space just think about how long it takes to lose say, 50 pounds...a long time!Slip-covering however - the lazy girl's redo! So I pulled out some of my favorite pattern making paper and made a quick pattern. Note: this is much easier without feline assistance.

Pin this pattern fabric/paper directly to the chair then cut it out. I double check that the pattern is even then cut it out of the fabric adding a seam allowance. I used fabric that I had out from making some bags for St. Pat's Day (which was left over from a St. Pat's tablecloth....) I put some buttons and tabs in the back to hold it in place.

In all it took less than an hour. I've cut out two other so I can change them out when they get too covered in cat hair...I may have gotten Brownie to stop sleeping on top of my sewing machine but the instant I stand up from this chair she claims it!

On the kitten front - I visited two of them this morning and they are doing fine. The two girls in the family have spent hours on the internet researching cat care and gave me a two cup of coffee lecuture on kitten care. The kittens are named Diamond and Topaz. (The third is named Spot...) All good.

9 comments:

Sherry said...

Hi Nice chair cover you make it look so easy. But I really want to say niceeeeeeeeee sewing area. You look like it sooo neat and tidu. This is defiantly not my house. I wish you would rub off on me. So would my sister like that too. Shes like you and I'm only wish I could be like you.

sewprimitive karen said...

That's such a pretty little chest of drawers. Very happy for the little kittens.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Very nice repro stash. you sure you just didn't buy a bunch of fat quarters and stick them as is in the drawers? Stop overdoing it! Very nice chair makeover. Everything is easier without kitties, but what would be the challenge. Brownie is gorgeous as always.

Karen said...

Nice chair cover and I like how you organized your fabric.

Tammy said...

Wow, you make that look like a piece of cake - perhaps you could do a little lesson in your blog on how to do that, it would really be fun to know what you did. You are just so talented. I love the chest you're storing fabric in. We need panoramic pic's of your sewing room I think - I bet it is gorgeous!! Take care of yourself and don't over do to much. Hugs

Magpie Sue said...

Wow, you've had some adventures since I last visited! How fortunate that new families for the kittens appeared so quickly (and that you didn't make yourself any more ill in rescuing and taking care of them!). That slipcover for the chair made an amazing transformation.

Nana Time said...

I have "pajama days" on a regular basis....and I have taught my 93 year old mother-in-law to have them,too.

Love your blog...you seems like such a nice person...no wonder you are a quilter :)

The chair looks GREAT!

McIrish Annie said...

How wonderful that you were there to rescue those kittens. What kind of person would do that??!! Well, obviously not a person at all.

Of course I LOVE your chair cover! LOL

Hope you are rested after your adventurous couple of days

*karendianne. said...

It might be easier to redo the chair without help from the kitties but it's a great opportunity for some parlor trick-training! (you know, multi-tasking) Love the fabrics all folded and pretty.