Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas baking - or Why I Will Fall behind on Quilting this week

Today officially starts my Christmas baking marathon...

My husband's office party is tomorrow so he needs a couple dozen cupcakes and three dozen biscotti...

Thursday is my Quilt Guild party...Ellie's chocolate Cake and a Stollen (we have a couple of members from Germany!)  I haven't made my Aunt Ellie's chocolate cake in years.  A few of you asked for the recipe earlier this week...let me to a trial run since the ink has blurred on the directions.
                          Last year's stollen (photo reminded me I need to find that platter.....)
Friday night a friend is having a large Christmas Party.  Instead of baking I making Spanakopeta, tzadziki, Keftethakia, and Fattouch.  So why is this Irish American making all this Greek food...the recipes come from  my husband's first mother-in-law!    (I do make a great Irish bread but that is for March....)  Also, amazingly enough, we do not have a Greek restaurant within 40 miles so I've had to learn to cook it myself.
                                                   One of last year's cookie trays....
Saturday and Sunday is cookie baking days.  Mint Snow-tops  Molasses  Christmas Biscotti, Coconut Biscotti, Chocolate Chip and a cookie to be named later.  (I like to try a new recipe every year and haven't made the final selection yet!)  These go to neighbors, work, and church.  It will keep me busy!


                                            Coconut biscotti....recipe from Cooking Light

I know this is generally a quilting blog and so far no quilts!  So here is a little quilt I made a few years ago.  It is a reproduction of a doll quilt circa 1880.  15 inches by 15 inches, had pieced and hand quilted. The madder fabrics I used came out in the early 1990's.  I wish I had bought yards of them!

The quilt now hangs in my sewing room.

11 comments:

Me and My Stitches said...

Yum! And that goes for the baking and the quilt!

Betty Lou said...

I can just smell those yummy things baking in your oven. Homemade biscotti, that sounds wonderful along with everything else will make for some good Christmas snacking. Be sure to save a couple cookies for Santa.

Impera Magna said...

All your goodies look so delicious! Haven't done any Christmas baking and probably won't til next week.

Love that doll quilt...

Ali Honey said...

That all looks interesting and Yummy!

Sue said...

You should be on masterchef.
Wonderful looking food and the quilt is yummy too.
Enjoy your festivities .

Gypsy Quilter said...

I'm so glad you told us about those MINT chocolate chips. I finally found them in Ingles last week and bought 6 bags. Even the clerk commented that I must be baking a lot of cookies! They'll make great hot cocoa too. Happy baking.

Janet O. said...

I finally found those mint chocolate chips, too. Now what was the recipe you used them in? (Oh, my mother would be appalled at the structure of that sentence!)
The baked goods all look so yummy! And so does that cute little quilt.
Sometimes it is so hard to see your favorite fabrics used up--especially if nothing else has come along that you like as well.

Lady of the Cloth said...

My hubby informed me that he NEEDS 12 dozen cookies for a cookie exchange at work. After I caught my breath, I started baking and have made double that amount so I could have extra for neighbors. I am very tired. Remember kids coming home and telling you that they need cookies for the next day? I thought I was through with those days since my youngest son is 42' Think again. Merry Christmas from the West Coast.

regan said...

Do you need a recipe for Kourambiethes cookies? They're awesome, and I make them every year.

The Civil War Quilter said...

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard. Those Christmas goodies look yummidy!Darling little quilt,(and all by hand...even better!)

sewkalico said...

mmmm, stollen! And all the yummy Greek food, and the cakes and the biscuits.....