Sunday, January 15, 2017

On the cutting table...

I'm learning that typing with a broken baby finger is tough...heck a lot of things are tough!  (washing dished one handed...the worst!)

But I have a deadline to get the kits out to the guild members for our 2018 donation quilt so past couple of days I've been cutting fabric very slowly and carefully!

We are making Kaffe Fasset's Vases and Bowls.  Naively I thought working with a kit would make the process faster and easier then last year when I drafted a pattern and we picked out the fabrics ourselves.  I was wrong.

I have a pile of leftover fabric...which makes me nervous...sort of like when you put together flat-pack furniture and have extra screws and bits left over.  You wonder if the furniture will collapse the first time it is used!

The there are the fabrics that there is no-way you can get all the pieces required cut from it!  I made multiple templates and laid them out on the fabric...not going to work!  Went online and ordered another 1/2 yard.  That is also the challenge - the local quilt shops do not carry much if any Kaffee.  Closest is s 2 hour drive!

I am close to halfway with the kitting...now what to do with all these pretty bits of leftovers?!

6 comments:

Karen said...

You are one determined person. You need some help cutting those kits.

Dee W said...

Sell scrap bags of leftovers at your quilt guild!

Gypsy Quilter said...

You may want to save the scraps until the quilt is done. Just in case there's an oooops along the way. Hope you feel better soon.

Janet O. said...

Sounds like you could use some helpers. Wish I could drop by and give you a hand (without a broken finger).
It is a pretty quilt you are making. Hope everything comes out okay in the end. : )

Barb said...

What nice quilt design - maybe have a cutting party? I've learned that quilters will do almost anything if cake and coffee are involved ;)

Purple Pam said...

Sorry to read about your broken finger. I love the Kaffe Fasset jars quilt.