Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Random Quilting stuff

The clean-up of the UFO "Tower of Shame" continues...

I've pulled a long...long lost project off the top.  It was a reproduction of a friend's, Bill Volkering, quilt.

Pretty much all the piecing is done (except for the setting triangles which may be solids, may be string pieced or may be a random selection of neutrals...humm...)

I also did this in some reproduction fabrics without the applique...more on that in a future post as I don't have photos.
Vintage Wedding Ring from NC.
Which gets me to why no photos...MS has decided to make itself known again.  My MRI was a bit like Swiss cheese (don't even ask me what the Radiologist said to me...do they have any lectures on bedside manners?!)

Speaking of cheese...made an awesome quiche with zucchini and mushrooms!  Brought it to a quilt-in last weekend.  We made over 50 pillowcases for elementary children who are homeless...when I'm feeling bad for myself it helps to do something for others!

My husband has been helping me with my annual refolding of the quilt stacks.  These are my antique quilts that I take out at least once a year to inspect, air out for a couple of hours, then refold.  

This is one of my oldest quilts.  It is a Carpenter's Wheel dated 1838.

The date is embroidered in the center.

And the makers name is stamped in one corner.  I think the name is Frances J. Shriner (Shriver?)

I've often started to reproduce this quilt but never found the right fabric for the borders...There are several new lines coming out this year so perhaps...

7 comments:

Janet O. said...

The quilt you are reproducing really appeals to me.
Sorry to hear about the MRI results--and the insensitive radiologist. I thought they weren't supposed to say anything at all to you about the results. It is all supposed to come from the doctor, isn't it?
That quiche looks delicious. I'm glad you could take part in that project of making the pillowcases.
That is quite a print in the border. If all else fails, send a photo of it to Cyndi @ Busy Thimble. If there is a repro print out there like that, she would know! : )

Gypsy Quilter said...

Always love seeing your beautiful quilts. Sure hope you get to feeling better soon.

Sherrill said...

You really get a lot done for someone who doesn't have issues like MS so what you accomplish puts me to shame!! Your cat looks like he's inspecting a slight flaw in that quilt! LOL You have some beautiful vintage lovelies!

Sherrill said...

Oooo, I just heard on the news there's a drug to be available in two weeks for MS that's administered IV every 6 mo. specifically for aggressive and relapsing MS. Maybe that'll be just what you need to help you in your fight. Prayers for you.

O'Quilts said...

stupid diseases bothering us....sorry....recipe for quiche please...it looks great..

The Civil War Quilter said...

Sorry you're dealing with MS again. Hope it passes fast. Love the 1838 quilt. I agree with checking with Cyndi at Busy Thimble for your chintz border fabric. She has the best selection of 1800's fabrics anywhere.

cspoonquilt said...

Very cool old quilt! How wonderful to have the date sewn into the top!