Monday, December 08, 2008


I'm not sure if we are making progress on the unpacking or it just isn't bothering me as much. Either way things are better. Oh, I still can't walk into my sewing room but I do have a plan. Friends are coming over and moving the boxes out into the garage so we can put in the new (unbroken) bookcases and gradually move the fabric into place. If I am lucky this will happen before the end of the year....

Another reason for needing more bookcases for fabric (other than still having more fabric than I need!) is the number of books that find their way into out house. I must have given away a carload of books before I left England and still we have them piled in corners, on crowding counter-tops, double stacked on shelves and lined up on the bedroom windowsill.
Last night I finished "Ice Road" in the photo above. It is a historical novel based in St. Petersburg at the start of WWII. If you like historical novels or this period in history I would definitely recommend it. It is a fairly complex group of characters and it takes a good hundred or so pages before the plot gels...stick with it though. (I don't know if you could write a novel set in Russia and it not be a bit complicated!)

So it was a fairly lazy weekend. My DH did most of the heavy lifting when it came to the boxes. Did a bit of Christmas shopping, a bit of baking, and a lot of looking through recipes.

A question...a couple of years ago a quilter posted a "baked oatmeal" recipe. I made it a dozen times or so then lost the recipe. Does anyone have it or know who posted it?

8 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Sio, I love Russian Lit. I'm on it. Thanks! This might be just what I need right now.

A little wired Love, *karendianne.

cityquilter grace said...

thanks for the book recommendation, always looking for a good read; i'm just finishing up my BA in English and did a senior seminar in 'sense and sensibility,' really interesting and only briefly explored the surface of the fascinating time period and its societocultural mores; we read about 9 novels in all and I call them "would that i could that i should" novels as they are so very verbose. after a while I actually started talking and sending emails sounding like them...

julieQ said...

Love the book, it is on the list!!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

If you liked that one, you might enjoy "The Zookeeper's Wife" set in Poland at the same time period, during WWII...it was AWESOME!!

Wish I could be there to help!

Bonnie

Jeanne said...

Baked Oatmeal
7-10 People
1 cup Brown Sugar
1/8 Cup melted butter
2 eggs
3 cups of oatmeal
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
Bake at 350 for about an hour
It is finished cooking when brown on top and not gooey in the middle. They also added blueberries and that was delicious.

Tonya Ricucci said...

glad to hear you've got a plan and friends coming over to help.

Clare said...

I love that stain glass. Is that chez vous?

I'm the same about books. They are currently fighting for space with fabric!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I may have to try that book. Sounds interesting. And yes - I"m the one with the baked oatmeal recipe! I can help you with that! Here was my post with the recipe (end of this post):
http://dquilts.blogspot.com/2007/02/i-must-be-nuts.html