Friday, December 05, 2008

The things you find


Today I am taking a day off from the move...not a day off however. My Dh offered my services to help bake for a party our friends are having tonight. Now normally this would not be a problem but when most of your things are still in cardboard boxes it is a bit of a challenge. I ended up making Cream cheese brownies, lemon bars, and pumpkin bars. They are all baked in 9x13 pans so I can put out one tray with three different bars on them and they fit well. I also made a try of pralines this morning. I had to put them in the car already so I can't "graze" on them.

I'm going over their house later to work on the appitizers...tzatziki, fresh hummus, stuffed grape leaves, grilled halloumi, spanakopita, bruscetta on garlic toast, and grilled marinated shrimp. Most of these are already put together and just need to be thrown on the grill or plated. The house smells good at least.

People react to stress...like moving...differently. When stressed I cook. This has been a stressful move. First the movers thought they lost our main shipment...it ended being a data input error but made for a couple of anxious days. Then our cat Goldie got out and somehow injured her back leg. Now of course this happens lat at night so she has to go to the late night vet causing us to have a late, late night while she gets it cleaned and stapled shut.So they finally find our shipment but by then they can't deliver until after Thanksgiving. No problem...I can sleep another two weeks on an airmattress. The morning before the shipment arrives worry that I may have pulled a musle cleaning the kitchen...by noon I was in the emergency room diagnosed with a kidney stone! Fortunately about midnight it passed but it left me really, really out of it for when the movers showed up at 7:30 the next morning.

The movers told us they were going to deliver 7 crates Monday and 7 more the next day. This sounded like a good plan until the first day was over. They delivered the frame and box spring for the king size bed and only the mattress for the queen size guest room bed. Still not a real bed in the house... Also, the first day was primarily boxes...no bookcases, dressers, or cabinets. Hard to put stuff away like that! Try as you can the boxes end up blocking spaces you want to put the cabinet that the stuff in the boxes go in! Duhhhhhh!!!! It was so nice when my quilting room was empty like the photo below...now I can't even get in to take a photo (all you see is the side of a box!)Then comes the damages part....The packers were incentivized to get the containers as densely packed as possible. The packed out the drawers of dressers and the inside of the cabinets for my sewing room...I'm not sure they realized how heavy fabric is...the three cabinets are all broken in one way or another and the fabric all has to be refolded. We are talking three 6-foot by 3 foot cabinets of fabric...I'll be folding for weeks! And instead of a sewing desk for Christmas I guess I will be replacing my cabinets (I lost one in the trip over to England...though that one was empty.)

Anyway, I am thankful it is almost over. I am unpacking 5 boxes a day (no more!) and have even put up a couple of Christmas decorations. Optimisticly it will at least be St Patrick's day before I am in my sewing room doing anything but organizing again. The quilt at the top of this post is one of my oldest projects...about 1997. It is from one of Mimi Dietrich's Smithsonian quilt books and is called the Cobb Quilt. I am hand quilting it so for the next month or so it will be about the only quilting/sewing I see myself doing.

I just reread this...what a whiney post! I'll do much better next time....

22 comments:

Paula said...

I didn't think it was a whiney post! But, hey, even if it was, we all need to whine sometimes! Sorry about your stuff getting messed up. That's so frustrating! I really like your quilt. It could almost pass as an antique....love it.

Joyce said...

I hate moving. We moved a lot when we were younger but now it's been nearly 30 years. I think they'll have to carry me out of here. I'd like to be around for that meal though. Sounds like all my favorite food.

*karendianne. said...

An amazing quilt and the hand quilting will be relaxing.

Goldie! you little girlie ~ we can't have you doing things like this. We're so glad you're okay, Goldie!

Sio, goodness sakes what a move this is and by the way, I don't think this is a whinyy post - I think its just the Scraps and Threadtales of life! ;)

*karendianne. said...

...and healing to you also my friend, goodness a Kidney Stone. Don't need that so I'm glad its gone but you could use a break for sure.

Paula, the quilter said...

If it is a whiney post, then there is good reason. Moving is just soooo stressful. At least you cook, when stressed. I stop eating when stressed. Hope everything is better now.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Sorry to hear about the cabinets. I"m so glad I don't have to move! Love that quilt you show on the top of your post. And your making me hungry with all that food. Hope your having fun at the party!

Char said...

If one has moved, they know your blog is not whiney. It is just telling it like it is. But remember - if you think in 100 years you won't remember this day nor will affect you 100 years from now - there is no reason to get whacked out of shape about it. It's just life as we know it!

Tonya Ricucci said...

not whiny at all. but you got lots to whine about - I'd be crying and moaning lots. At least you enjoy cooking when you're stressed - otherwise I'd have to come and throttle DH for yet again signing you up for food. hope you claimed all the broken shelves etc - movers should not be incentivized to break things. sorry, wish I could be there to help. Glad Goldie is okay - not the behavior I expect from her.

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Siobhan,
You are being too hard on yourself- you've worked hard (emptied boxes, baked and moved) and you are getting things done. Its too bad about your fabric storage- what a pain that would be, as are those kidney stones.. My teaching assistant has had to have them lasered and says passing them is quite painful.
It sounds like a feast that you helped make. I am sure that the food was a hit at the party. I hope that the Christmas season brings you lots of good times with family and friends.
I have begun decorating the house too- the village is up as is the window stain glass. We turned on the lights in the window and I will add the wreath to the door. It is beginning to look like Christmas around here.
Regards,
Anna

Lucy said...

Ohh my gosh this all sounds like a nightmare. I am happy you feel better from yoru kidney stone. and I do hope that you are able to sew soon!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

You should feel FREE to whine...good grief, I'd be screaming and crying by now! And a KIDNEY STONE in the midst of everything.

Cook away...it's good for what ails you! (I miss your cooking!)

*hugs*
Bonnie

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

You should feel FREE to whine...good grief, I'd be screaming and crying by now! And a KIDNEY STONE in the midst of everything.

Cook away...it's good for what ails you! (I miss your cooking!)

*hugs*
Bonnie

Unknown said...

Goodness me! This is not a whiney post at all! You have coped very well indeed, and cooking, baking and ... partying. Good for you. Hope you are better after your kidney stones... and Goldie!! do you think she was trying to find her way back to England??!!!
PS: I love your quilts.
Best wishes

Purple Pam said...

So sorry to hear that your cat was hurt, and your cabinets broken. No, you are not too whiney. You are destressing. Things will get better. Don't overdue the unpacking part. It will still be there tomorrow. Kidney stones sound awful. Take care of yourself.

sewkalico said...

So sorry to hear about the kidney stone which is mighty painful!!! Moving is stressful too, so feel free to tell us all about it because we sympathise and wish we could help.

The food sounded delicious (clearly reading blogs at night might be the reason I always need a midnight snack LOL)

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Been there and done that....our partial container finally arrived 11 months after it was packed for the US. I feel your pain!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

It sounds like you are having a bit of a time with it all...At least you have some hand quilting to work on and you sound like you are having a good time cooking. It will all come together eventually ..being in limbo isn't fun.

Take care..

Mad about Craft said...

Moving is a nightmare! Moving across continents is even more of a nightmare!!

Hopefully you won't have to do it again!

julieQ said...

Whining is neccessary!! Essential to get it out and not keep it trapped inside. I think you are very smart to just unpack 5 boxes a day...way to conserve energy and motivation! I am sorry your baby kittie got hurt, hope she is healed soon.

Mary Johnson said...

Having moved twice in the last couple years I feel your pain although I'm sure the added hassle of an overseas move is worse than mine have been. It felt great when I could finally get back to my quilting.

Mary Johnson said...

Having moved twice in the last couple years I feel your pain although I'm sure the added hassle of an overseas move is worse than mine have been. It felt great when I could finally get back to my quilting.

Kim said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I'm so sorry your move went so badly. Now I'm afraid. Hubby's taking a new job and he'll be leaving in Feb/ March and I'll be here with the teens waiting till my daughter graduates and then off we go north. Glad you're feeling better and hopefully kitty is on the mend also. Darling Christmas quilt and Santa :)