Thursday, October 22, 2009

Waverunner Fabrics


I signed on to make a waverunner quilt with some other bloggers who visit V at bumblebean quilting. It is a very freeform approach to piecing. I love the look of it and am slowly coming around to enjoy the process.
This has sort of been like a quilting exorcism....as I just cut through the fabric without using a ruler I can almost hear my older sister who taught me to sew take in a deep quick breath...as I run the fabric through the sewing machine and see the varied width of my seams I can feel Mrs. Lynch my girl scout leader's hand on my shoulder...and when I wipe the steamy hair off of my forehead and check to see if the now damp pieced block is finally laying flat on my ironing board I can almost see my first quilting teacher with her lips pressed together asking me if I used steam when I pressed my slightly wonky block. Well, after 5 or 6 blocks these quilting ghosts are all gone. My strips are getting wonkier and more wave-runnerey. I took V's advise and just slashed the block I didn't like into a couple of strips and am using it elsewhere. (You can see it in the right hand side block below) Orininally I use the Jones painting at the top of this post as my color inspiration but now I have tossed the original yellow and went for one that is more brown/gold and pulled a few more very, very light fabrics and one very, very dark red.

(I'm sure the ghosts are still there and just hiding in the applique drawer....where they are very much needed!)

10 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

It looks great! I so love this style and need to make one. Didn't join this time, but it's on my to-do list! Love your colors.

Twisted Quilts said...

What you have done looks great. I need to get started on mine. I have some other things I am working on right now. I do like this way of working.

dianne said...

i think those ghosts have taken up residence at MY place (in addition to their sisters who were already standing over me and saying, "tsk. tsk. tsk.") ... i like what you're doing!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

You know what I say to all those ghosts?

PHOOEY!

good choice takign out the yellow, a bit to rainbow-y...
because I LOVE your new color combo!

The net fun part will be figuring out a layout that works well... I think I have 5 or 6 10" blocks that I pieced together with scraps, and 5 that are straight up stripes... it seemed to give a good balance in the first one, and again,that seems to work.

Looks great girl! I knew you could do it!

*karendianne. said...

You Rock for trying new stuff! Just one more thing I dig about you.

*karendianne. who doesn't try new things very often if ever at all. Please don't tell anyone - it makes me look really bad.

Sharon said...

Those old hard-won skills are so hard to let go of, aren't they? I have those same voices in my head when I try something like this. Not doing this one, but SHOULD, because I can't hold a ruler right now anyway, so it'd be right up my alley! (wonky is my middle name at the moment) I think your pieces are looking great! "By George, I think she's GOT it!!" *grin*

Tonya Ricucci said...

love it, really do. the colors are great and just marvelous. wheee!!!!

Nana Time said...

I tried freemotion quilting my Christ mas quilt with metallic thread.....a lot of breakage....it this a no no....or are there special tips???? Help!

Browndirtcottage said...

Your Waverunner is looking great!!
I'm trying this too...I'm loving not having to line up a ruler and cut....yippee!!

Darcie said...

This is exciting!!! I love the slashed block, too! Just in time for Halloween horror. lol