Thursday, June 28, 2012

Antiques Roadshow

Last weekend some of my quilting buddies and I went down to Myrtle Beach for a taping of PBS's Antique's Roadshow.  We had a great time...tiring but fun!
(a paper mache dress form!)
We had put our names into the ticket lottery months ago.  We found out sometime in April that we got tickets.  The tickets arrived ten days before the event.  (We had a brief moment of excitement when my tickets had arrived by my friend's had not...seems her husband left the mail in his car that day....for a few days!)

We got a great two bedroom condo for a few days.  The beach view was wonderful.

The night before the show we checked out what each other had brought to be appraised.  Ille as happy to find out that Margaret, an art teacher, approved of her painting.

Each person can bring two items...a "collection" counts as one item.

The whole event is so well organized it was amazing...lots of volunteers and lots of lines.  Everyone was really nice though so the time and the waiting went quickly.

It was really fun to see what folks had in all the boxes, bags, trolleys and what-nots!

The big surprise was when the appraiser at the pottery table, Nicholas Dawes,  asked if I would like to have the appraisal of my Majolica piece done on air.  My Mom had bought the piece in 1947 while with the Red Cross in England.  I was a little worried I would not be able to talk about it but got through the whole thing fine...did make one of the tech's in the production booth cry though...it was tough.  (My Mom passed away just a couple weeks ago...)
(Nicholas Dawes and me after the appraisal....)
You will have to wait until next spring sometime to see what the piece looked like and what the appraisal was!

18 comments:

MB in MI said...

Love that show! Please remind us when you have a date for the show
:-)

Janet O. said...

Way cool, Sio! I watch this show whenever I can, and love it. I hope you will keep us up on airing dates so we can see your 15 minutes of fame! : )
That must have been very tender to do your Mom's piece when emotions are so fresh.

Ali Honey said...

How Exciting! I hope we eventually get to see your show down here.

Betty Lou said...

Sounds like so much fun, be sure and let us know when it airs. Your mother would be proud.

antique quilter said...

well how fun that must have been
next spring! of course I want to know now!
how exciting you were chosen especially at this time...
thinking of you
Kathie

Impera Magna said...

So glad you had a good time... such a nice view from your condo!

AND... you're gonna be on TV! Woooo hooo! How exciting!

Marj said...

Congratulations on being picked to be on the show.I watch the show all the time. I definitely will be trying to see the one with you and your prize piece. Keep us informed if you find out when it air on TV.

Judy in Michigan said...

How cool is that!! WOW!!! This is very exciting! Maybe they'll need a quilt appraiser for the show!

Carol said...

How exciting...please let us know when the show is going to be aired.

Me and My Stitches said...

That is awesome! Hope I get to see it - will you know ahead of time when it will air?

Nancy said...

How cool! We watch every Monday night, will keep an eye out for you. My husband had the opportunity to go when they were in Philly years ago. He took his great-grandfather's WWI uniform; it wasn't appraised very high, but to him it is priceless.

Glad you had fun!

Gypsy Quilter said...

What great fun. Glad you had a good time. The beach looks lovely.

ann hermes said...

How cool is that!? A celebrity among us.

regan said...

What fun! Can't wait to see your episode!

AnnieO said...

Oh, that's a great experience to have! Sounds like a really fun time with your friends and favorite things.

McIrish Annie said...

How exciting!! I love, love that show. I hope you got a good result. Your mom must be smiling down!

Teresa Rawson said...

Sorry to hear about your Mom (I've been away from blogger for a while...). And I am totally excited about your Antiques Road Show outing...I am totally addicted to that show. I'm sure I will see that episode next spring. Hang in there...it all gets better over time (my Mom passed in February...).

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Well done you! I know that must have been hard to talk about your Mom. I can just imagine your story striking a cord as the loss is so recent.

I must admit I'm rather impressed...you've starred in 2 Antique shows! Once on this side of the Atlantic and once there...you must have a good camera face :o)