Sunday, June 03, 2012

String Sugar quilt...

I forgot to include a photo of my new-to-me quilt.  Those of you who follow Bonnie Hunter's blog and know of the new book on strings that comes out next month will like this quilt...unlike Bonnie's though it used big pieces!  These blocks are 21 inches wide!

Today it goes into the tub for a long bath...it is a nice day for airing quilts and come summer we don't get a lot of those (too humid!)

After looking close this quilt has a bit of a mystery...just what did she use for the yellow fabric.  Was it a sugar bag that she dyed yellow...

or was it a Domino Sugar bag that was yellow to start with?  anyone know if Domino Sugar ever came in big yellow bags?  Maybe she just liked the color?  They had a separate shed/kitchen for canning so they may have gone through a lot of sugar....

When I lived in Baltimore I could see the big lit Domino Sugar sign from my rooftop deck...why did that sound so much cooler before Sarah P. saw Russia from her front door?!  anyway....

These signiture blocks were also in the box of tops...they got a soak last night and almost all of the age spots came out.  Really happy with them.  I know some collectors are against washing blocks or tops...it is a bit tricky.  I really think carefully before I do it.  First is the fabric and the piecing/applique strong enough.  Second do I think the stains detract from the block or could do damage.  If the answers are yes then I put the piece in for a long soak.  A soak is different from a wash...it is like the difference between pressing and ironing.  For a soak I fill the sink or tub up with soapy water then place the block or top in.  There is very little if any agitating.  Usually I leave it for a couple of hours then change the water then let it sit overnight.  I place them on a thick towel and lay them out flat to dry.

On a day like today a block dries in less than 30 minutes out on the porch!  I wish a got a before photo of the siggy blocks...they had several large brown spots and were dull in color...

8 comments:

regan said...

Awesome string quilt!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I love that quilt - so happy you got it! yes, Domino came in sacks but they don't appear to have been bright yellow. maybe the ink off of a container rubbed off on the fabric?
sack for sale here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/90433440/vintage-25-pound-cloth-domino-sugar-bag

antique quilter said...

What a great quilt I love big scale blocks sometimes and this is one of those times!!!! I don't think the sugar bag was ever yellow. But I could be wrong! Never saw one.

Kathie

Janet O. said...

That string quilt is a cheerful beauty!
I think you are doing the right thing to soak the grime off those blocks. Dirt can be very damaging to fibers, and it sounds like your "soaking" technique is quite benign.

Nifty Quilts said...

Oh! Your new-old quilts are so inspiring! Thanks for rescuing and sharing them. We have so much to learn from our quilt maker ancestors.

sewkalico said...

Cute kitty pic! I think getting the age spots out sounds like a sensible thing to do. As long as you don't damage the block you are really just enhancing the viewing/owning pleasure.

Loris said...

Gorgeous quilt! I love the yellow :-)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a beautiful quilt...the colours are so soft!