Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day

Above is a photo of my Dad taken while he was a Navy flight instructor down in Pensecola, FL.  Obviously this was on a day off when he could go fishing!

I have had a hard time getting focused on my quilting or just about anything else.  Didn't help that my house was hit by lighting and several things, like my computer, were "fried."  I'm hoping the local computer guys can  save my harddrive...I am pretty good at making backups but still....

Last night I did play in the fabric scraps a bit.  One of the quilt-tops I bought at auction a few weeks ago was hanging on the sewing room door.  The block pattern is Corn and Beans.  I love the fabrics the maker used.

I made a 4-1/2 inch finished block and a 5-1/2 finished block...what a difference a inch can make!  After making a dozen of the smaller block I think I would like the larger one better (or is it now that I've done the math I realize just how many of those little blocks I'd need to make!)

Working with the brighter colors is nice right now.  Plus it is so scrappy it has to make anyone smile!

12 comments:

sandra said...

Nice to see you back. I was thinking of you often after your last post, and wondering how you were. Your Mom looked like a lovely lady from the photo.
Quilting is very therapeutic. I made a quilt after my father died after a long illness. It is a combination of piecing, applique and embroidery. I am just feeling ready to quilt it and it has been four years, so give yourself time.
All the best.
Sandra

Marj said...

The bright colors are very uplifting and just make me smile. I also vote for the larger squares, why make it harder than it has to be. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of blocks soon.

Impera Magna said...

Sorry to hear about the lightning strikes and fried electronics... *fingers cross that your HD can be saved*

What cheerful blocks! Don't blame you for going for the larger block... not that a 5.5" finished block is huge or anything...

antique quilter said...

Interesting I am so ready to make a bright happy quilt too. I need to work in bright modern fabrics!

Nifty Quilts said...

Your scrappy quilt looks like great therapy. Sorry about the lightning. A lucky omen, maybe?

Janet O. said...

I remember many years ago when I had been dealing with depression after a series of financial and emotional setbacks, someone gave me a box of 30s fabric and I started playing in it. Eventually I had pieced two lap quilts of these cheery fabrics and that was the first day in months that I had felt like doing anything. I credit those fun fabrics with putting me back on track.

sewkalico said...

Love Corn & Bean blocks and yours look great in fun fabrics! Use the smaller ones for a mini quilt/wall hanging and crack on with the larger ones :)
Of course this looks like another for my to-do list LOL!

cityquilter grace said...

beautiful scrappy! michele over at quilting gallery has a link to a scrappy quilt contest...this might be a winner

Tonya Ricucci said...

ugh, re the lightening damage. I'd be screwed - I've gotten really bad about making backups. of course i'm partial to the smaller blocks! love how fun and bright these blocks are.

Laura in IA said...

I love the way the larger blocks show off the fabrics. So bright and cheery. You go girl.

Purple Pam said...

Wow! A lightning strike on your house! Wow! Were you home at the time? Love the bright colors of your little blocks. I would want to do the larger block, too, if it means making less numbers of blocks! LOL!

Nancy quiltin' momma said...

I have been working with this very same block for about a year. I put a few together and then put the project away!! LOL the author's pattern that I was using called it the northwind block. She must have renamed it. Everytime I tried to find it in my computer program it would not come up...so now I know it is Corn and Beans! Maybe I should post the quilt that I have been working on on my blog....Love your quilt! Love the colors!!