Tuesday, June 05, 2012

rainy day binding...


It's a rainy day in Georgia...not so good for washing quilt-tops from the auction (this one is now drying in the kitchen) but great for putting binding on quilts (particularly when the quilt has been quilted for almost 6 months!)

This is my Penisve Quilt - made with buckets of 1-1/2 inch strips.  Amazingly those "buckets" are still full...I've had the binding ready to go for months so it will be nice to get it off of my to-do list!  I try and make binding for a quilt as I work on the top.  I wind it on a cardboard tube left over from paper-towels and keep it with the top.  Though I have been known to either change my mind or just used the "wrong" binding for the wrong quilt but I'll never tell which ones it happened to!

It is a good memory quilt of all the fabrics I've used in the past 15 or so years.  About the only thing I didn't put in it was Christmas fabrics...

I think Dobby has the right idea...before I do the hand turning on the binding I may take a nap too....

9 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

Your old quilt tops are just SO inspiring! Your new string quilt looks great too. Hope we'll get to see more of it!

Betty Lou said...

Kitty has the right idea, a nap on a rainy afternoon. Like you scrap strip quilt-----be sure and take a full picture when the binding is on.

Impera Magna said...

A rainy day, a comfy quilt, a snuggly kitty... nap time sounds perfect to me!

:)

Sheryl Evans said...

They are beautiful!! Great job!!

Sheryl Evans said...

They are beautiful!! Great job!!

Sheryl Evans said...

They are beautiful!! Great job!!

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Love the auction quilt and your pensive is beautiful. What a great idea to make a memory quilt (ahh, is that why its called pensive?)!! Love your binding idea too. xo

Judy in Michigan said...

Rainy day = NAP! Saw your comment on Dutch Quilt Cat - Joes was actually in the shop I work at last summer. She was on her way to the Gwen Marston retreat!!!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Sounds like you are having the same weather as us :-) rainy weather = good sewing days !