Thursday, June 11, 2015

A future daylilly quilt...


Daylillies are in full bloom here in Georgia.  They are my favorite plant for the garden!  So many varieties and colors.
They are generally very hardy however recently some fungus and other issues have become more of an issue.  One of my beds was impacted this year.
I did everything the extension agent recommended and was able to save 75% of the plants...not bad.  It was a lot of work.  This mauve plant seemed to be the most effected.  I was only able to save two out the rive plants.  It was work the work though...love the face and the ruffles on this one!

We are rapidly coming to the end of my spring gardening season.  Saturday the temps are going to be up around 95 degrees!  Too hot for me!

A few years ago I bought Leni Levenson Wiener's book "Photo-inspired Art Quilt - From Composition to Finished Pieces."
 I'd like to try something to merge my quilts and my photos.  Have any of you made quilts using photos as inspiration or in the quilt?

Also in the garden...I've been trying to get photos of all the different Dragonflies.  Just yesterday I saw three (maybe four) different species in my yard.  The down side...I keep capturing photos of the same (slow perhaps) species.  Heck it may even be the same dragonfly!
(a few years ago this would have been fine...now, it is a toss away!)

Funny how expectations change.  First I just wanted a picture of a dragonfly.  Then I wanted a photos close-up and in focus.  Then I wanted multiple dragonflies....say what!

And in more quilt-y news...went to stitching yesterday.  Paula is almost finished her wool project!

And Shannon is making progress on her primitive piece!  Beehives...think there is a theme here!


6 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

Can you set up a shallow bowel of water with a rock in it for the dragonflies to land on?

Debbie said...

I keep saying I am going to do a large daylily quilt. Instead I have only done them as appliques on wall hangings. But dragonflies....yes, I do them with thread painting onto tulle. Then I applique them on what ever. I found good photos by searching online and developed a drawing from those. I am sure you will find the technique for you. BTW....I love your day lily photos!

Sherrill said...

Ooo, are those coneflowers in your yard? SO pretty! I have one little plant that has a few blooms but better than last year. My mom always had the orange daylilies and I'm so made I didn't bring from my old house (they were from her 'stock'). I really need to get some in this year as I love them so. The dragonfly photo is great!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful daylilies--mine are beginning to bloom along with the cone flower

Janet O. said...

What gorgeous daylilies!
I used to be a 4-H leader in entomology. We would catch, kill and mount the bugs. I like the idea of taking photos instead!

AnnieO said...

My daylilies are prolific and easy care too! That's the only kind of plant I am allowed to have, I cannot remember to water regularly and of course we have very little rain here.

My sister does pictorial quilts often. She recently finished a scene of a tree in the middle of a lavender field. She's made multiple versions of a hosta leaf with a flower. She cuts pieces out of minky for petals and uses paint sticks to sketch the leaf details.