Saturday, April 14, 2007

Cash in the Attic



Yesterday I went up to the auction house to check out some quilts and a sampler they had listed in their website. Two of the quilters from the Fairford group were also there for their first UK auction. I was also surprised to see the the film crew from one of the BBC shows Cash In the Attic set up in he corner of the showroom! It was fun to watch them filming...brought back some memories of working with a TV station back in the states. (for those in the U.S. the show a commentator and an expert go to a person's house and helps them select items to go to the auction to raise money for a specific cause like a new garden shed, a charity, a holiday, a new violin, a quilting room -just kidding on the last one!)

Back to the auction....the quilts ended up being really in bad shape. The design on one was very Kaffe Fasset like - soft colors with blended blocks around a centeral plain blue woven square. It was in terriable shape though and still went for 80 pounds! There were some beutiful kimonoes that went for 100's of pounds and several lots of lace that were stunning - a collector was on hand and she bought most of it.

There had been a lot of folks looking at the needlework sampler during the viewing. Since the earlier textiles were going for what I though was a lot of money I was counting myself out of the race. I have wanted an antique sampler for a long time. Prices in the U.S. can get crazy for them so I've been hoping to find one here. The last few I've seen at auction were either in really poor shape or had very depressing sayings on it (don't want anything about the "wrath of God" - or pretty much anything from the old testament - hanging in my sewing room.) I've tried to sew one mayself but my eyes just aren't up to that type of work. Well the good news is I got the sampler for 10 pounds under my limit! I'm ont going to tell you how much I paid since after the bidding the camera crew did a quick interview on why I bought the sampler....I may be on TV!


I would like to reframe the sampler but am unsure if I should do that here or wait until I get back to the states. On the practical side I'm worried the matting isn't acid free. On the less practical - I hate the metal frame on this. Just anothere project to add to the pile! Anyone with suggestions?


Weather-wise it continues to be beautiful. (sorry to those of you one east coast...I don't mean to rub it in!) Last night I was able to get a bit closer to the field of lambs on the edge of our village and get some more photos. These are the sheep that belong to Mr. Gardener who is a professional gardener, lives in Rose Cottage, and has a black and white collie named Lady. What a children's book they would make! His sheep are more like pets than livestock. His daughter raised the first couple as a school project years ago and now they have about 20!
DH is off to play gold this afternoon so I am hoping to get some blocks done for the Fairford group and post the directions for them sometime today...

17 comments:

Fiona said...

The smapler looks lovely but I have to agree with you about that frame - not in keeping at all. Afraid I have no suggestions for a solution - I am the woman who has had unframed prints languishing in drawers for the past 17 years.

Fiona said...

Sorry - that should be sampler of course, although a smapler does sound kind of intriguing.

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh my that is really a honey of a sampler; do you know if it's American or English? And just look, the uggy frame is hiding some of the border. Lovely motifs and don't you love the saying at the top. Aren't you delighted to have it!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

hurrah for winning the bidding on the sampler. bet it would look good with a warm wood frame. Hmm, maybe you should write that children's book.

CCnUK said...

That's really cool that you got the sampler, I can't believe you hung around so long. After looking at some of the prices things went for in the afternoon I really wished I'd stayed I was almost sick when I saw that the victorian side board that I loved so much only went for 140 pounds especially since the estimate was 300 to 600. I'll know better next time. On my way out I talked to a couple of people who were on the show and they said the shows they were filming were for the new season and should start appearing on TV in Aug. I hope you are on it that would be so cool. See ya Wed.

Patti said...

What a marvelous purchase! I would so love to have something like that to hang in my house. But I'm with you - I'd get it reframed. Can you get suggestions from friends as to who would do a good job over there? There must be somewhere you can get it done. I don't think I'd want to wait if I were you.

Unknown said...

Love the sampler - agree about the frame - and how exciting to be in on the tv programme

comicbooklady said...

oooh, lovely sampler! I love those type of old fashioned cross stitch samplers! If you can find a framer that specializes in needlework that's the best, although it is pricey for custom framing. As for the tv interview, if you can tape it and then have it digitized, you can then put it on youtube and then onto your blog!

Catherine said...

how wonderful. and how fun to have an auction house nearby....and to top it off, you might be on tv. What a fun memory. Do you have any old or unused frames that you could recycle?

Shelina said...

I love going to auctions, but it does matter who else is there. I just love it when there is nobody else bidding on the things I want!
that sampler is beautiful - it is a great find in your price range. And what a bonus to be on tv too. Joanns has a framing department. You could take it in, and try out different frames to see what suits. I'm sure you could try that with software too, but it is probably easier just to see the real frames.

Of course, you could go to more auctions, to find a good frame to go with your sampler!

Kim said...

I've been wanting a sampler too, but I haven't done any serious searching yet. Lucky you! I watch Cash in the Attic all the time on BBC America--one of my favorite networks. Congrats on your purchase!

Clare said...

A nice plain wooden frame should do it. How about beech wood? How exicing to be on Cash in the Attic. will keep an eye open for you? Any idea when it is to be televised?

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

There's an American version of Cash in the Attic that runs on TLC, I believe... I love to watch it. Congrats on your sampler. I love samplers and have a cross-sticth one almost finished, it's French, plus a pattern for a redwork one (also French)and an old antique sampler that belonged to my great aunt. There's something about Samplers that greatly appeal to me.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

I love the sampler!! I had to squint to read that the girl finished it when she was 11 years old? How awesome! I love that her writing is somewhat wonky. It is perfectly childlike that way...the way an 11 yr old should be :c) As to the frame...reframe it IF you find something you like better...I would!

Bonnie

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your new nice sampler. I agree on the frame, not that nice. I have one as well (self-made, not antique) and my mother framed it (lucky me!)without a glass and with some batting behind. I would choose a wooden frame at any rate. Take care.

atet said...

oooh, what a find! I have to agree that the frame is doing nothing for it, but I would look for a custom framer who has experience with textiles and needlework. Maybe someone at the auction house knows of folks who do restoration/conservation work in your area? Just a suggestion for a search at least.

Lois R. said...

Beautiful sampler! I totally agree with you about the frame. Do it right and have it reframed the way you want it!