Saturday, April 07, 2007

Playing with blocks

My eyes right now are wonky at best which makes me crazy. A few more days and I should be able to safely operate a rotary cutter and a computer screen but until then I will remain a bit scarce on the blog.
I did finish a few more blocks for Clare and her Leukemia Quilts. I took out a few fat red and white fat quarters and decided to try use them up making the 8-inch blocks for her project. These became the "loaves and fishes" of fat quarters! They just would not go away! Anyway, after 8 blocks there are only a few scraps left of my favorite fabric and I am calling it quilts for now. I did use the blocks with the group of new quilters to start the discussion on setting blocks. 8-1/2 is so much more fun to work with than the 12 inch blocks....

Spring is finally here for real. Yesterday we got to put the top down on my DH's little Mazda and drive through some of the villages in our area. It was a bit fragrant at times (this is a farming area!) but fun none the less! I am determines to get a good photo of a lamb while I am here. The little guys are everywhere and are just too cute. It is however difficult...they run. Also, when the sheep are near the fence it always seems to be on a road that is just to busy to pull over! So for now I only have some distant pictures...like this one on the left. If you look carefully there are some lambs and sheep in the second field back. They are very loud for such little creatures!


I'm also going to slip in another few photo from Barcelona.
At the park tha Gaudi designed there were lot of mosaics that gave quilty inspirations. These were part of the wall just as you enter the park.








The next photo is of the dragon fountain. Obviously a major Kodak moment for thousands of tourists! There were some workmen doing repairs on the mosaics the day were there. It was interesting to see them work. (Set two pieces of mosaic, smoke a cigarette, break a tile, smoke a cigarette, mix some mortar, drink some coffee...)
The park is one of the best bargains in Barcelona...free! We spent about three hours there and could have spent more. It looks like a lot of locals go there as well. The climb to the top was a lot of work but well worth it for the view of the city.






The next photo is one that I have printed in an 8x10 and am contemplating doing in fabric. I love the lines of this ceiling. This is the attic in the apartment building that Gaudi designed. (the one with the melting icecreams on the roof!) These arches are made from bricks of varying widths. It has a beautiful feeling.
Well, off to walk Macbeth.....








10 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I just love those red blocks! And the ceiling from Barcelona is an amazing bit of architecture and would be an interesting quilt. I look forward to seeing it when you get started. As for those lambs, they are very cute and capture my heart year after year. Take care and have a great Easter.

mereth said...

I totally agree with the 'loaves and fishes' bit.Some fabric just doesn't want to let go.
Hope your eyes setle down soon,it must be so frustrating for you.

Tonya Ricucci said...

gorgeous blocks. great photos from barcelona - i really want to visit there now (without luggage). rest those eyes and feel better soon!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Happy Easter! Loved the pics from Barcelona you snuck in! And your red blocks are gorgeous!

Sweet P said...

I read your post on Dawn's blog and had to stop by. I can't resist meeting a fellow Red Sox fan!

Your red and white blocks are gorgeous.

You photos are awesome. I'll definitely check back to see what you've been up to.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

I love your blocks for Clare. Thanks for visiting me, sorry to hear you aren't feeling well, Tracey

comicbooklady said...

Candy canes and peppermint sticks, that's what those vibrant red blocks remind me of! Lucky you a drive in the country with the hood down, are you sure it's not summer!?...just jealous...a blanket of snow just covered up my struggling daffodils.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

That ceiling shot is unreal, what workmanship! Thanks for sharing. Two color quilts, and especially red and white(!) are among my most favorite! Good job.

Unknown said...

Yes, make a quilt from that. It's screaming for it, and you can do it.

Hugs,
Melinda from pieceful hearts

*karendianne. said...

This one sounds like a post I can relate to having recently had the "wonky eyes" myself. I'm snatching a pic off here for sure!

Seeing Blocks with Love, *karendianne.