Friday, April 20, 2007

Multi-generational quilts

Don't you just hate it when your memory fails you?! I was cruising through the blogs the other day and saw where a quilter was blending repro fabrics from the 1930's and 1900. A few hours later I rummaged through the quilt room and unpacked my quilt that has 4-patches from the turn-of-the -centruy and setting squares from the 1920's-30's. (I always pictured that a woman had extra blocks -leaders and enders? - that she found in her sewing basket and she put them together. I bought it as a top so she never did finish it...a woman after my own heart!)


Anyway, back to the story of this week. The next day I put the quilt out on the line and took some photos. (that is little brownie in the corner trying to figure out why I would be taking a photo of the quilt when I could be taking them of her?!) Today I finally moved the photos onto my computer, but can I remember who posted the quilt I wanted to respond to? Uhggggg.....


So after an hour rummaging through blogs I decide to just post the photos and whoever is working on the other quilt will see it and say - that reminds me of the little quilt I am working on....

This is one of my favorite quilts. I love the little fruit fabric she used in each corner and how well she distributed the yellow across the quilt. Who ever put it together had a good eye.


No more progress on the sampler (s.) Life is invading my quilting and fabric time. We have bees coming down the chimney and a backed up sewer system. So far no word from the rental management agency on when they will be fixed. I sort of feel the need to hang around a bit so I don't miss their call. At first the cats chased the bees around...now they just ignore them. During the day it isn't as bad but at night there are a half a dozen zooming around and I am constantly opening the windows to let them out!



Finally I am finishing with my favortie lamb photo so far this season. It has been warm the past two days so they have been laying down in the shade near the fence. This little lamb is so tiny! At night we can hear them calling to one another...



10 comments:

Joyce said...

That is a lovely quilt. I have a couple of them from the 30's that my Mum started and I finished. The fabrics are so different and that's what I enjoy about them.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Maybe Brownie is trying to figure out how she's going to lay down on that quilt and get cat hair all over it when you have it hanging like that. Wonderful quilt and cute lambies. Hope you get rid of the bees soon. Isn't there some MS therapy that involves bee stings? You could do some of that right there in your own home.

Unknown said...

There seem to be ever so many bees and really early this year - we've had literally dozens of them in ones and two trapped in our conservatory - the silly things wander in when the doors and windows are open and then can't work out why they can't bash their way out through the roof panels - lots of rescuing operations with a glass and a piece of card!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Got your note about the Elegant Garden Patterns - your right, I went and checked too. They were big in her booth and prominantely displayed so maybe they are new. If you are really interested I would just email her. Her and her husband were sooo nice, and like I said they were a big part of her booth so I bet they are newer.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh the lamb is sooo adorable! And I love that quilt! I"m glad your giving it a good home! It is wonderful! I saw a baby horse this morning and it was sooo cute! Ahhh spring baby animals!

Fiona said...

I like that quilt, unusual to see those colour values together but very effective.

Tazzie said...

What a lovely quilt, and how nice that it has generations of fabric in it.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Malagueta said...

What a beautiful quilt! I looks especially nice hanging on the line in the sunlight, which makes all the colors pop.

Patti said...

what a wonderful top - you are so lucky to have found this! Who says all fabrics don't go together just fine. Here's a perfect example.

Kairle Oaks said...

Such beautiful shots of the countryside and the quilt looks amazing. wonderful quilting.