Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Silk to play with



Today was supposed to be a quiet day but instead I had a bit of an adventure.




One of my neighbors had planned to go on a hill walk with some friends. Unfortunately her car had to go into the shop this morning so she called me to see if I could drive her and come on the walk. She has helped me out so many times how could I say no? Besides I love learning new paths and walks in our area.

We went over to Leckhampton Hill which is about 45 minutes away. The view of the area from the top of the hill was beautiful. There is also a rock formation (?) pile called the Devil's Chimney that was very interesting. The photo of the chimney is on the top. I think we were able to see the towers of the Tewksbury Abby...I may need to make the climb again when the weather is better!
Since I was already out...I decided to drop by the Beckford Silk factory. This is only a few miles from my house but I keep putting off going there...today was the day. It was great! The picture above is of the man screenprinting the silk. They mainly do pieces for museums...ties, scarves, and some clothing. The best part is the seconds area...they sell the scraps in small bags - a few of course had to come home with me!

Then again Brownie immediately claimed them as her own...gbv (wopps...Brownie typo...)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Siobhan - since we moved down here about 18mths ago I've felt very little homesickness for Gloucestershire but that picture of Leckhampton chimney gave me a little twinge - we had a lovely day up there once with the kids - the silk looks gorgeous - glad you had a great day

Sarah said...

What a great day out. I'll make of note of the silk printing place and see if I can 'happen' upon it when I'm out and about. Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

In a quilt shop yesterday, I saw they had made up little kits of silk squares for making patchwork purses. Any idea what you'll do with your silk? (Assuming you can get it away from Brownie? LOL!)

atet said...

What beautiful silks -- and a wonderful walk. If you can manage to wrestle the silks away from the kitty, what are you going to make?

KC Quilter said...

Sounds as if you had a great day---and so did Brownie!!! What will you do with your gorgeous silk scraps?

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I'm not sure you're getting the silk back... Brownie looks a little bit possesive! The countryside shot is very pretty, I never grow tired of seeing your pretty, verdant landscapes.

sewprimitive karen said...

Just looked over your past three posts and I can't believe how much information is in them and how pretty the landscape photos are. And cute little Brownie! It must have been phenomenal to go through the silk factory.

mereth said...

I have a 'thing' about factories and seeing how everyday stuff is produced. But a material factory...mmmmmn!I've never sewn silk before, but the colours and designs look very rich.

Darcie said...

Brownie has splendid taste! What a fun field trip!