Monday, April 26, 2010

Almost recovered from Paducah...

This year I finally made it up to the AQS show in Paducah. It was great. The quilts were inspirational...the class on quit appraisals was educational...and the folks in that town were so gracious and welcoming. All and all just a really good week. Photos of the winning quilts are on the AQS website...
I got a chuckle at the sign outside of Hancocks...men's restrooms were in the parking lot!

Can't see the sign too well in this photo...it reads "Welcome Quilters Karaoke"...humm what would quilter sing after all those margaritas?

On the down side I got to see parts of town that thankfully few quilters go...like the emergency room! Nothing like a kidney stone to put a quick-stop on a good time! All I can say is the notes I took on my last day of class are well, just a bit strange! A little bit of pain-killer goes a long way.
I took both the Insurance Appraisal and the Fair Market Appraisal Classes with Bobbie Aug and Gerald Roy. Learned a lot...including what I don't know which is very important! So on the long drive home (with a worried and unhappy DH at the wheel) a made a plan of what I need to do in the next year to get ready to test next April. (yes, I know I have heard all the type A jokes...)
Can you believe I came back from Paducah with only a couple yards of fabric, some books and one little quilt! You know I wasn't feeling well if that is all I got...not even like I had the "it has to fit in the suitcase" constraint! I'll do better next show (Knoxville in July!)
On another topic...humblequilts.blogspot is doing another doll quilt quilt-along. This time is uses a block like this vintage one I had in my collection! She is making hers in browns, indigo and shirting but I think I may go with the pink and black like my blocks!

14 comments:

Sherry said...

I hope your feeling better. I had a friend that had that and she was in so much pain I hope hope I never get them.
Glad to see that you stilled enjoyed your trip.

sewprimitive karen said...

You went to Paducah! But what a shame that you had the kidney stone problem, at such a time.

julieQ said...

I know that takes a ton of energy...rest and recover, and I love your doll quilt block! Pretty! I have my fabrics picked out, just need some time to get to it.

Loris said...

Sorry to hear you had to go through that pain. It is the worst! I hope you can make another go at Paducah without the side trip.

sewkalico said...

Ouch! Kidney stones are not nice at all - hope you're feeling better now!

Ali Honey said...

That's not nice!( but what a time to get ill!)
Do get well soon. I hope you get to do anothet time in rude good health.

AnnieO said...

My sister went to Paducah for the first time this year. She got into a lot of trouble with some silk cottons...her credit card needed to hit the freezer it was so hot! Someday I would like to have that problem at Paducah too. Sounds like you got to enjoy some parts of your trip, sheesh!

I am going to do Lori's quiltalong too, but just now I am bogged down with a project that must be finished by Saturday. I'll have to catch up!

Darcie said...

Oh Sio...I'm glad that you are ok and were able to get meds right away. What an experience!

Say...I've been telling my daughters that I am going to ask you: You're still watching American Idol? The Siobhan that's on there...is that how you pronounce your name as well? I wonder every week.... ;-)

Rest well, friend!

YankeeQuilter said...

just in case anyone else is wondering...yes I pronounce my name just like Siobhan does on American Idol (and did that girl not sing tonight! and I loved the boots! woohoo....)

Geothermal Heat Pumps said...

Many times you have to spend money in order to make money. Try this latest Geothermal Heat Pumps !

quiltmom anna said...

Hope you are feeling much better and that you have got rid of the kidney stone. A kidney stone does not sound like much fun-
I always enjoy reading Gerald Roy's column in Fons and Porter.
Paducah sounds like a great place to visit- Red Geranium Cottage ( Sharon) has some great pictures of some of the things and quilts from Paducah..
Regards,
Anna

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh that is terrible! I was so sorry I didn't get to meet up with you - but now I know why! Oh but what awesome classes!

Geothermal Heat Pumps said...

What is the solution when the heating needs are high ? The answer is the latest Geothermal Heat Pump

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Oooh lots of pain! I hope you are feeling a lot better now, kidney stones can be nasty! Pretty block xo