Sunday, April 18, 2010

Second Hand Stash....

Just when it was almost safe to walk in the sewing room the phone rang. One of my neighbors is moving to a smaller house and she needed to find a home for some boxes of fabric. Oh dear...I've always had a soft spot for homeless stash....So a few minutes later in marches her husband and a neighborhood boy with about 8 boxes and a couple of bags. So much for a neat and clean room (that is so overrated anyways!) Most if not all of the fabric is circa 1985-1990. There are bits and pieces that made its way through my own stash (like those Beyer border stripes! How many of us have done the stack and whack thing-y with one of those stripes!)
Now 95% of this is being washed, quick pressed and divided up between the various charity groups my guild works with. A bit going to a young woman, Sally Ann, who works with recycled and re-purposed fabrics. The remainder is either going into a box marked 80's fabric that I keep on hand for repairing quilts (I have one marked for each decade) and then a small amount went into the bin for stuffing pillows at the animal shelter. Needless to say the "piles" or work-in-process have taken over the just recently organized space and even crept into the corner of the dining room...oh, well. My rational is if the fabric gets into "my stash" in my sewing room then it gets more difficult to get is out the door again...no stash fraternization!
Here is a photo of the business or credit card holder that Sally makes...this just cracked me up! I knew there would be a purpose for those old cassette tapes some day! (don't yo just love the "Police" and "Don't Stand So Close to Me" ...doesn't that date me?! yikes) Anyway, her web site is www.sallyannk.com

In addition to washing, pressing, folding and sorting fabric today I need to pack for my trip to Paducah...let's hope all my clothes are already clean!

11 comments:

AnnieO said...

Wow, now that is a lot of downsizing of fabric...and somewhat of an elderly stash at that, LOL! Glad you have a plan for it already and great that it is being distributed before it can be swallowed by your own stash.

The business card holders are fun!

judith lockhart said...

Well now weren't you the lucky one for fabric?! At least you had a plan and knew how to organize it and put it to good use!! Fun!

Gypsy Quilter said...

Wow, what a lovely gift! Just think of all the backings your guild can make for volunteer projects. Happy washing.

julieQ said...

I love given-to-me stash...and like you, keep it separate for some reason, until washed and final determination of where it might go! I remember very well that song...good one, huh?

Sew Create It - Jane said...

You certainly have done your good deed for the day! I'm sure all those charities will be thrilled to receive donations and I'm sure your friend was pleased to pass the fabric to a good home.

Paula, the quilter said...

I just went through the very thing you are going through. I still need to clean the sewing machine, tho, to see how well it works.

Purple Pam said...

Stash Enhancement and a trip to Paducah! WOW! Hope your wash machine doesn't get too tired of washing the neighbor's fabrics!

Tonya Ricucci said...

wheeee!!!!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Oh oh oh oh! I have to adopt homeless stash too...but I have to say that the Police cassette really brought back memories. I think I HAD THAT CASSETTE!

Also had Cars. And Pat Benetar...and Heart...and...ELO...and...Rush...do you remember Alan Parson Project? Fun times. ;c)

quiltmom anna said...

Sio,
Fabric does seem to find you- you did a very nice thing for the lady and many people will enjoy the benefits of the ladies stash. I am sure that she appreciated it .
Have a fabulous time is Paducah. It sounds like such a terrific place to go and visit.
I am waiting for some fabrics from Paducah from Hancocks.- a few more Kaffe Fassett fabrics VBG

Regards, Anna

*karendianne. said...

The fabric Gods are very very good to you! I enjoyed your planning and how you manage it all. Spoken like a woman with some real experience!