Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fun magazines...



I know I have posted about how disappointed I have been in so many of the quilt magazines being published these days. This month however there are two exceptions: "American Patchwork and Quilting" June magazine and the new "The Quilt Life" April edition. (Both on newsstands now...go figure!?)

AP&Q/June is one of those magazines that I will most likely put whole into the inspiration file. Lots of quilts I'd like to try, an interesting interview with Minick and Simpson, and an article on thread-making that the nerd in me loves. (I admit to loving the shows "Mythbusters" and "How do they make that")
I have already played with the quilt blocks on the cover. If you decide to make this quilt a few things I've learned...make all the centers first then make the outside star pieces. The cutting is a bit finicky (2-1/4, 2-1/8, 2-1/2...all a bit too close to have on the cutting board at the same time!) Also, when you make the outer star part there are bonus blocks to be had...save those little hst and you can make up these little 3-1/2 inch finished blocks. (heck I almost like the way these are coming out as much as the "real" quilt blocks!)


The Quilt Life is just an interesting mix of articles and techniques. Maybe a bit more "modern" or artsy than AP&Q but not so far outside my comfort range. I like the article "Quilt, teach, travel" that shows how Pam Holland uses photos for inspiration to make her quilts. There is a similar/companian article by Ricky Tims that takes photo quilts to a "new level." (I am working out a design for a quilt in memory of my Dad who flew PBY's during WW2 so anything on photos is of interest right now.....)

Off to watch more golf...I would love to see Mickelson win it after his tough year taking care of him wife and Mom who are battling breast cancer...then again who can root against Freddy Couples (he is in there for the 50 yo crowd!)...Westwood has worked hard to climb back up the international rankings so he will have earned it if he wins (I like hard workers...)...and then of course there is Kim who is both an amazing player and a train-wreak in the same round of golf - he could use a win to boost his confidence and it would be a big plus for all the younger players. What a great tournament...you couldn't make this stuff up!

13 comments:

sewkalico said...

Those blocks look cool! And the bonus blocks are fun too. I don't need any more inspiration though LOL.

ps What about Woods - overcoming the stigma of his torrid personal life :-D (I am mean LOL)

Gypsy Quilter said...

I like the way you're using up the leftovers. Very cute.

Pam in KC said...

I look forward to seeing your memory quilt. My grandfather was a navigator in a PBY prior to WWII.

Marj said...

I just figured out that I already have that magazine. The blocks that you made are great and the bonus blocks are looking good.

Michelle said...

OH my gosh! I've stacks of quilt and needlework magazines in our basement. Every once in a while I take a day to browse through them. So much to do, so little time!

MARCIE said...

I liked that issue and that quilt! Would love to jump right into making it. Also saw your car. I am in Virginia Beach and EVERYTHING in covered like that. Ugh!

MARCIE said...

You might get a kick out of reading my dad's experience with a PBY---
http://theazpenguin.blogspot.com/2007/07/me-and-my-pby.html

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Sio- very nice quilt blocks- I will keep an eye out for the APQ magazine when I go to visit the magazine stand soon. I am not familiar with Quilt life- I can find other magazines from Australian and quilt mania - I will have to keep my eye out for it.

Happy quilting,
Regards,
Anna

Ima Baglady said...

How funny - I absolutely loved the thread article too! And I, I mean my KIDS, tape every epsode of Mythbusters. You are not alone ;-)

Unknown said...

I just absolutely LOVE this block - especially in the colourway in the first photo - oh dear another quilt idea in the queue - thanks for sharing Siobhan

*karendianne. said...

Love these blocks and really appreciate your feedback on the magazines. I'm currently going without subscriptions to any.

Jan said...

Nice blocks! I liked them too when my issue came in the mail - thanks for the piecing tips.

Mary Johnson said...

We were at a family wedding last weekend so didn't get to see much of the golf but Keith had my iPhone on Sunday at the reception (surely he didn't check scores during the wedding?!) and kept me posted. Isn't it great that there are so many players to root for?